• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

rear suspension

bluoval

Donation Time
Hi all I just finnished my V6 conv Alpine, and on test drives I have come up with a problem.. That is In turns I will feel the planted rear side g-force then a moment later a secondary for side G force..It feels as this is body roll is the secondary G force. what ever it is I realy do not like the feel of this secondary force.. I have the same problem with my tiger but not as bad as on the Alpine. Help please!! Earl blu oval

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Have a leaf spring tiger Housinng and rear end shocks are after market tiger. Earl bluoval

Hi Earl

You may have to consider the shock angle.Are your shocks more or less like vertically level? I do know a slight angle will help.On the Lister I had great shock angles.Worked fantastic but the ride was harsh and I had to reduce the angle closer to level but still angled a few degrees.I also have the Lakewood traction bars.This also helps re spring swing.I do have an extra leaf for the rear springs.However on smooth roads all is for a nice ride.That said the rough roads will still give a harsh ride.The rear is all ford including the springs and shocks

bluoval

Donation Time
leaf springs

sorry should have been more spic. am using the stock alpine springs.. looks so far as the root cause is the spings and a need to tighten them up. then will see if shocks are part if the problem.. thanks Earl blu oval

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Are the spring's bushings in good shape? Should they be some sort of poly rather than rubber? (Of course, I'm assuming OEMs are rubber...)

RootesRooter

Donation Time
sorry should have been more spic. am using the stock alpine springs.. looks so far as the root cause is the spings and a need to tighten them up. then will see if shocks are part if the problem.. thanks Earl blu oval

Tiger springs have an extra leaf to deal with the heavier diff. and extra horsepower.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Earl,

I used stock Alpine springs on my turbocharged Alpine and had no problems with handling with it. A good set of traction bars also helped control spring wrap up. You may have a broken spring leaf that gives you that sensation.

Jose

bluoval

Donation Time
rear susp

The rear bushings were replaced and were offset and instld as per the specifications. I did not take the springs apart,and reass. them. I may have broken springs. or spring sagg due to the years of use. I do not think my problem is spring wind up. the problem is during a turn prior to aceleration.and is a secondary pull away from the direction of the turn. Thank you for the advice and keek it coming Earl blu oval

bluoval

Donation Time
new springs and shocks

Have the problem solved.Instld a set of Dales rear tiger springs all leaves rather than removing the 2nd leaf then having them rearched to the alpine arch because the bushings were centered rather than having the alpine offset bushing. WITHOUT having the springs rearched I had a real issue with ride heigth issuewith tire rub. I then used QA1 adj shocke set at#2 front and rear. It now runs as it is on a rail, some may not like the rear raised . but I was looking for the 60's up in the rear look. I also lowered my tire pressure from 32 lbs to 24 lbs the lower pressure thus alloweng the sidewalls to flex more.. Earl blu oval

alpine_64

Donation Time
Earl,

What size/type of tyre are you running.. 24lbs seems quite low, i run mine at 32 in the dry and 28 if its goign to be wet. If they are to low the back will move around a bit and also you will wear them more.

bluoval

Donation Time
tire size

front are 155/80 r13 rear are 185/70 r13 read wheels and about an inch wider and are dished about an inch to an inch and !/2 more than the front wheels. THIS ALPINE WAS NOT BUILTTO BE A DAILY DRIVER . BUT INSTEAD A SHOW CAR THAT IS A BLAST TO DRIVEALSO SO TIRE WARE AND GAS MILAGE ARE THINGS THAT ARENOT PART ON MY EQUATION. earl blu oval.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Earl,

thats fine for it not to be a daily driver.. but 24lbs will give you some squishy handling... great for sliding the butt of it slowly.. not so good for actually getting round quickly.