• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear Spring Frame / Mounts

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Well not sure if this is a problem area or not. The passenger side of my car look pretty good, a few bad spots but nothing that I am really worried about. The uni-body of my car is great from the front and straight back to the front leaf spring mounts. Yes, the front two spring mounting areas are fantastic, but then back to the rear drive side spring mount, eeks! It looks as if it will need a full rebuild! Is this normal to see? I will have to build an entire new mounting and weld it into place with gussets. Has anyone done this? Is there anyone with information that they can share? Possibly some photos, pit falls, gauge of metal they used etc.

I believe I can have the required parts laser cut if I put things to CAD. I just want to do a good job and have it look as original or maybe better should be a goal???

I remember seeing a post of someone doing this work in the past but a search on leaf spring mounts and such did not show much on the site.

I could post a photo of the rear frame mount to show you how bad but it is quite upsetting to even look at the photo.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
I would opt for cutting the needed parts from a rust free donor car. I may have one, post a pic of what you need and we'll see.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Well not sure if this is a problem area or not. The passenger side of my car look pretty good, a few bad spots but nothing that I am really worried about. The uni-body of my car is great from the front and straight back to the front leaf spring mounts. Yes, the front two spring mounting areas are fantastic, but then back to the rear drive side spring mount, eeks! It looks as if it will need a full rebuild! Is this normal to see? I will have to build an entire new mounting and weld it into place with gussets. Has anyone done this? Is there anyone with information that they can share? Possibly some photos, pit falls, gauge of metal they used etc.

I believe I can have the required parts laser cut if I put things to CAD. I just want to do a good job and have it look as original or maybe better should be a goal???

I remember seeing a post of someone doing this work in the past but a search on leaf spring mounts and such did not show much on the site.

I could post a photo of the rear frame mount to show you how bad but it is quite upsetting to even look at the photo.
Andrew If your able to draw it up I'd go that way its a simple part basically a channel with a tube for the spring bush if you have a shop to laser it they probably would also have a brake to fold the piece up. make the part from .065 mild steel and the tube is 1" ID! to accommodate the bush. gonna be way better than the hassle of getting a donor piece.

Andrew

Donation Time
Andrew If your able to draw it up I'd go that way its a simple part basically a channel with a tube for the spring bush if you have a shop to laser it they probably would also have a brake to fold the piece up. make the part from .065 mild steel and the tube is 1" ID! to accommodate the bush. gonna be way better than the hassle of getting a donor piece.

Thanks a bunch. This is the information that I need. I will draw it up using SolidWorks and have it laser cut. I will share the information and also provide the files& design work to the club if anyone would like the information. More work than I expected but we will get it done. As always, thanks for the support.

Andrew

Donation Time
The front mounts are quite good. The rear passenger side look good, but we will see when we get into it. The Driver side, well out right scary. I new there was a problem back in 2008 at the Invasion as we pulled the trans. Scott pointed it out that it was showing some signs that attention was needed. Last time she was on the road was in 2009, it is amazing what 9 years of sitting in a garage will do to a car. It is amazing how different one side can be to the other. I will document the work and share what I can. Is someone has already done this, I sure would like to hear from you.

Attachments

• Front-1.jpg
    Front-1.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 59
  • pass-side.JPG
    pass-side.JPG
    557.2 KB · Views: 60
  • driver-side.JPG
    driver-side.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 59

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Andrew, Can these help?

Attachments

• 030 (2015_09_30 19_51_00 UTC).JPG
    030 (2015_09_30 19_51_00 UTC).JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 017 (2015_09_30 19_51_00 UTC).jpg
    017 (2015_09_30 19_51_00 UTC).jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 39

Andrew

Donation Time
Andrew, Can these help?

Hi Dan,
Thanks every little bit of help is appreciated. That is one thing I can say for sure, during the last 17 years (2002 "eeks" being involved with SAOCA) one can always find support and ideas from this group of car lovers. Thanks again.

Andrew

Donation Time
Well the Leaf Springs are rebuilt but now I need to tackle the real problem of the frame tails before they can be installed.
Thanks for the support guys.
IMG_4994.JPG

greenbean

Donation Time
I thought there was someone at the so cal tiger club that sold a rebuild kit, you know already cut and ready to install --- might check there

Andrew

Donation Time
I thought there was someone at the so cal tiger club that sold a rebuild kit, you know already cut and ready to install --- might check there

The only think I could find are some support plates that a couple of Tiger owners have put together for reinforcing the leaf spring mounting points. I have not really been able to find anyone who has formed the rear frame tails. I will have to pattern them and put them to CAD in order to get them Laser or Water Jet cut. If anyone knows of anyone forming the rear section of the Alpine/Tiger frame, please contact me. I hope to start this in a week but if the work has already been done by someone it would make a much quicker job. Yet, it will be a fun project and I think if formed correctly it will provide a greater support and longevity.

As always, any insight would be appreciated. I will share what I can in the process.

Andrew

Donation Time
Or I can cut one off a junker in the yard and you can have it done in a week or so. 78l 829 O55O

Hi Junkman,
Let me see fully what I am in for. We are dealing with a pile of snow here again and hope to get to this shortly. I may have to take you up on this. Any idea of what the cost of a left and right side would be?
Thanks a bunch.
Andrew

Andrew

Donation Time
http://www.tigerengineering.net/ is this what you are looking for? The spring plate is in the PDF's

I would like to rebuild the frame tail rather than just adding support gussets (Tiger Engineering is only showing support gussets). It would be nice if I could produce a higher quality tail/frame rail. If I can pattern it and make an exact copy of the full rail from the front bushing to the rear of the car it would be great. It may end up just being the rear tail that I need (and a little simpler to make). I am hoping from a good snow melt this week so that I can get started. I have been looking for information on the web of someone who has done this but I don't see anything out there.
Thanks for the note Warren, I was a little excited there hoping it would have been the answer.
Andrew

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Andrew, the parts car I have with the quarters already removed is missing the bumper mounts and jack mounts at the rear. Best way to do it IMO would be to get the parts first then make your cuts for the graft with a whizzer cut off tool, fit the new pieces and weld. It takes a bit of patience and grinding to fit, then get a strong magnet to hold in place and weld. Done! $50. a side plus shipping. I can send pics if you'd like PM me your email. Thanks,
Jeff