• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear shock absorber '68 Camaro

Fergusonic

Donation Time
1967 SV Alpine Rear Shocks:
Knowing that Gas filled shocks extend themselves automatically before installation; will Gas Filled '68 Camaro Rear Shock Absorbers raise the rear of the Alpine?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I've used a lot of gas shocks and none have jacked the car up. Just curious, are you using the Excell or Gas-A-Just KYB. Or Monroe Sensetrac.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I like the KYB Gas-A-Just. A little more money and a bit stiffer. The other ones are more like GM factory replacements for a softer ride.

Last edited:

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
There is not enough pressure in them to raise your car!
They will be stiffer in bounce and rebound

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Fergie, I just installed the Camaro rears on my Blue Boy and see not difference in ride height! Of course I have only driven it about 100 miles since installation a few days ago.

The front are the Monroes I installed a couple years ago. I had a noise that was always a curiosity coming from the front, just could not figure what it was exactly. After removing the monroes a week or so ago to replace with the the Camaro shocks I discovered the steel bushing in the bottom of the Monroes was a lot larger in dia than the stock Alpine bolt. That little bit of different mak a lot of noise going down the road.

I replaced the steel bushing with one that was compatible with the stock Alpine bolt dia and now it is a quite ride again.

Special note: None of the Camaro shocks I found would "fit" the Alpine mount bracket. The bottom end of the shock must be cut off, pressed out and replaced with another rubber bushing compatible with the stock Alpine bolt.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, You can press the bar pin out without cutting anything and sleeve the existing rubber bushing for the stock bolt or drill the bottom mount for a larger bolt.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I'm curious. How does a new shock affect ride height?

Fergie, I just installed the Camaro rears on my Blue Boy and see not difference in ride height! Of course I have only driven it about 100 miles since installation a few days ago....

Fergusonic

Donation Time
Correct..... the Camaro weighs around 1000# more than the Alpine..... I was thinking that perhaps a shock designed for the much heavier vehicle might have a raising affect on the lighter Alpine. I thought I would ask here before I spent money on the shocks and, if they DID raise the Alpine; I couldn't return the shocks and would have wasted my money. Hope that makes sense.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just returned from the Invasion via Dan's stash of Alpine goodies and projects. As part of the show and tell, he dug put the KYB shocks. It appears the cross bars are vulcanized to the rubber bushings. They will not move (twist, rotate, slide, etc.) within the bush.
Bill

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Something new I guess. I would drill through the bushing all around the pin and press out and replace the bushing in that case. I wonder if the Monroe is doing that now too.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, it appears there is another wrinkle to the problem. It appears they have not just installed the rubber bushing and vulcanized it in place, but they went one step further and rolled the edges of the steel "eye" to physically capture the bushing. To me, it is a situation of using that shock or doing without, I'd start modifying. But there are alternatives available. Is there an advantage to be gained using a KYB shock?

Bill

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I've never used their Excell model, only the Gas-A-Just performance. That model is their OEM replacement similar to the Monroe Sensetrac. I've pulled a lot of bar pins over the years with no issues. I thought it would save some money to buy all four shocks as a set. I did a search and a lot of newer Jeeps use the bar pin mount. They don't like them offroad as they tear the sheet metal where they are mounted. They make bar pin eliminator mounts similar to the Sunbeam mount. There are Youtube videos on removal and some complaints on the vulcanized mount. One even mentioned Dremeling the lip out. I remember some shocks came with the bar pin not installed.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, it appears there is another wrinkle to the problem. It appears they have not just installed the rubber bushing and vulcanized it in place, but they went one step further and rolled the edges of the steel "eye" to physically capture the bushing. To me, it is a situation of using that shock or doing without, I'd start modifying. But there are alternatives available. Is there an advantage to be gained using a KYB shock?

Bill

KYB is simply one of many makers / sellers of automotive shock absorbers. Good shocks, but nothing special. It is an old Japanese company with U.S. and European subsidiaries. They started selling shocks in the U.S. as KYB America when the Japanese car companies started assembling cars here.

Last edited:

Fergusonic

Donation Time
I finally got around to removing one of the front shocks..... it was an Armstrong 62-2280......and worn out. Curious; is the 62-2280 a stock Alpine shock?

65beam

Donation Time
If standard shocks are what you want, just call Sunbeam Specialties and order your shocks. They stock them. I have them on the front of the Harrington.