• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear glass for early hardtop

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't dispair.

If all else fails, sand the stuff off and paint the plexiglass with automotive clear coat, sand and buff like you would a paint job. You don't even have to have the plexi sanded out when applying the paint. The fine scratches will fill perfectly. I did this with a craptastic plexiglass window in a Parish top. Leaves a clear finish that is as good as you are willing to work for. My only problem was internal fracturing in the plexiglass, which the paint could not help.

I think the paint is probably a more durable finish that the plexiglass.

Bill

Highbeam

Donation Time
I would be interested in a rear window as well. Will watch this thread to see what happens. Up in Canada, so it will be expensive, not much for an alternative.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
What is the going rate for the rear glass in early series hardtops?

I may have an option to buy replacement back glass and would like to offer a fair price.

Thanks in advance,

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
The latest word I have (2 weeks ago) from another 'Beamer is that the early Series rear hardtop plexi windscreen is available for $225 plus shipping. The company is:

Aircraft Windshield Company, 10871 Kyle Street, Los Alamitos, CA 90720, Tel (562)430-8108 Fax (562)598-5109.

Rgds, Mark ..... volvoguys

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
One of our fellow Bemers' bought a rear glass sometime in the last year or so. I'll ask him where He got it...

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Actually, I would appreciate feedback from anybody who may have purchased a screen from Aircraft Windshield. Price? Good quality & nice fit? Accommodating?

Mark ..... volvoguys

99ZoomR

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Mark. I received and installed the rear windshield on my hardtop in late 2015. I wrote about it and attached a pic earlier on this thread. (I think it's post #33.). The folks at Aircraft Windshield were very accommodating and the rear window went in much better and easier than I thought it would. Using the hardtop instead of the soft top has been really nice and I also like the way it looks. I don't remember how long it took to receive it after I ordered it but I don't think is was more than a month. I also had a local upholstery shop install the headliner. The top was already nicely finished in white when I got it, so I didn't have to have it painted. So far the lexan or whatever material is used for the window has held up well to the elements. Hope this helps!

Len

Attachments

• IMG_0985.jpg
    IMG_0985.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 27

BERNARD ROSE

Donation Time
I am in the process of buying a clean '61 which is very original, including a hardtop. The plexiglass window has a few annoying scratches and I was wondering if these can be polished out. I am reading this and this might be an alternative to polishing out the scratches. I knew about clearcoat but never realized it could be used on a window. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Don't dispair.

If all else fails, sand the stuff off and paint the plexiglass with automotive clear coat, sand and buff like you would a paint job. You don't even have to have the plexi sanded out when applying the paint. The fine scratches will fill perfectly. I did this with a craptastic plexiglass window in a Parish top. Leaves a clear finish that is as good as you are willing to work for. My only problem was internal fracturing in the plexiglass, which the paint could not help.

I think the paint is probably a more durable finish that the plexiglass.

Bill

LarryN

Diamond Level Sponsor
Who else needs an early series hardtop rear window?

I placed an order yesterday with SS and asked about this - got the same answer. They no longer carry the rear window in stock and refer you to the aircraft place.

I need one too - we should gather up a number of orders to make a group purchase. That might help to drive the price down per unit.

Anybody else need one?
Yes, please add me to the list. Larry