• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear glass for early hardtop

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
This thread sure has me thinking

Series 4 and 5 have the plastic windows as stock

It is simple to make a rear window from Lexan. for the above tops.I have made 2 of them but that was a long time ago.Saying that I do have an early top.I would think I could make a window.Then I have never put a top on my 62 other than the soft top so it would be a in the far future type of project

iiAtlas

Donation Time
the series 3 used a different hardtop than the top for series 1 & 2 alpines. your top is the same as series 4 & 5 alpines and all tigers. both tops had plastic windows but the window being discussed is only for the series 1 & 2 alpines. there have been glass rear windows made for your top along with glass side windows. I believe there might be some in the works on the west coast. the problem is that the glass adds a lot of weight to the top and that wears the paint even worse than it does with the plastic window. new plastic windows are available from sunbeam specialties.

Interesting, thanks!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I spoke over the weekend with a SII owner who I don't think is computer savvy and he mentioned to me that he has been looking for a new rear window for a long time. So, you can probably add one more to the list. Please let me know if this group buy comes to fruition and I will put whomever in touch with the owner.

99ZoomR

Gold Level Sponsor
I have to confess that I went ahead and got a new rear windshield from the Aircraft Windshield Company in April for my Series 2 top. As Scott mentioned earlier, the windshield was $225, and shipping to Illinois was $82. I told Jesica at the shop that she may get other requests, so maybe she can make a deal.

I also got all the bits along with the headliner from Rick at Sunbeam Specialties ready to install, but still looking for the metal trim that goes around the windshield, which as I understand is not necessary and is made from "unobtainium"... I may take the headliner to an upholstery shop so it gets done right before I try to install the windshield. The weather has just been too nice for driving my new Alpine, so the rear windshield may end up being a winter project...:)

Len

alpine_64

Donation Time
I have to confess that I went ahead and got a new rear windshield from the Aircraft Windshield Company in April for my Series 2 top. As Scott mentioned earlier, the windshield was $225, and shipping to Illinois was $82. I told Jesica at the shop that she may get other requests, so maybe she can make a deal.

I also got all the bits along with the headliner from Rick at Sunbeam Specialties ready to install, but still looking for the metal trim that goes around the windshield, which as I understand is not necessary and is made from "unobtainium"... I may take the headliner to an upholstery shop so it gets done right before I try to install the windshield. The weather has just been too nice for driving my new Alpine, so the rear windshield may end up being a winter project...:)

Len

Len IIRC the new seals for the hardtop rear window dont accomodate the stainless window trim .. has anyone done one lately?

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a call out to the vendor for a quote on 15 units. I'll let you guys know when I hear back.

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Series I and II Hardtop Rear Window

I am interested in purchasing the new rear window. Please let me know the cost and shipping to Minnesota at 55431

Thanks

Gary Tosel

tigereater

Silver Level Sponsor
My husband and I would also be interested. We have 2 SI and a SII. Only the SII is currently drive-able. Tops on all three with rear windows in real bad shape.
Gina in Colorado
PS Haven't posted in ages but I do lurk when I have time :)

99ZoomR

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi folks. I finally got my hardtop's rear windshield installed a few months ago.

I had an upholstery shop install the headliner kit I got from SS last summer. After talking with a few of the local auto glass shops and getting some helpful advice, I decided to install the rear window I got last April from Aircraft Windshields myself. I used the seals from SS along with the tool they offer for inserting the locking strip. I put the weatherstrip on the top first, carefully pressed the windshield into the weatherstrip, and then installed the locking strip. I used some of the "wash and wax" in a bottle spray to lubricate the locking strip and the groove in the weatherstrip and then slowly worked my way around. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be as long as you take it slow. One of the previous owners had sold me the stainless trim, so I used double-sided tape and a few additional screws to attach it over the weatherstripping.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
The rear window stainless najes a huge difference on the early cars, such a pity the repro rubbers are not made to accept it.

99ZoomR

Gold Level Sponsor
The rear window stainless najes a huge difference on the early cars, such a pity the repro rubbers are not made to accept it.

I agree Michael. I decided I'd rather figure out a way to attach it over the repro rubber than leave the stainless pieces on the shelf. It's not as nice as the original, and I had to grit my teeth while I drilled the corner holes, but I still like it better than the plain black rubber look. And using the hardtop keeps things a little nicer for cold weather cruising...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 27

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
62' hardtop

Hi All, ....

I'm also in for a back window if the price is reasonable. I have two already, one is the orig. and is in bad shape. I kept it for a template. The other was a replacement that the previous owner left the protective paper on it for to long and now it's stuck on. ... He's some pictures.... Funny thing is I just started the restore on my hardtop and was considering putting a film over one of the rear windows I have and be done with it ... Wouldn't be using the top to much here in SoCal ..... works the paint where its sits as well. Let me know!

.. Happy Holidays Everyone! ....... David

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Sorry 'bout the pic.s ... been having some issues with my system ... Here they are....

Attachments

• 62 back window 003.jpg
    62 back window 003.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 52

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
SoCal, I have no idea what WD-40 or a glue busting product from Gunk might do to the plexiglas but either will break the glue bond on the paper backing on your window.
I am not endorsing this but I see my wife use them to remove bar tags from items such as glass and plastic w/o any apparent harmful effect.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks Bull...
..... I've tried a couple of things so far .... no luck .... seems like the glue has bonded with the plexi.

.... David