• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear glass for early hardtop

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Perusing ebay, there is a Series 2 Alpine for sale with a hardtop. They make reference to the availability of new rear "glass" for the early hardtop. It is from Aircraft Windshield Company, www.aircraftwindshield.com. No prices on their website, have to send in your request to get a price. But at least it may be an option to pursue. David

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Who else needs an early series hardtop rear window?

I placed an order yesterday with SS and asked about this - got the same answer. They no longer carry the rear window in stock and refer you to the aircraft place.

I need one too - we should gather up a number of orders to make a group purchase. That might help to drive the price down per unit.

Anybody else need one?

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Would it be an option for the club to place an order for , say 20 or whatever number gives the main price point and then sell them to members. We would have a few left over but we would at least have them. Heck,
Rick at SS would probably buy them from us if we did not want to store them. Just thinking outside the box to try to keep hard to find parts available to us.

Cheers,

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Let the vendor decide what's the least expensive amount of them to make. Then let Rick sell them for profit to everyone who doesn't chip in. Those that do get them at cost plus a handling charge for Rick.

My 2 cents and all that. I don't even have a SI or SII hardtop or car, but I'd like to one day.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Here is one more option. 25 years ago I looked for a new rear window, with no luck, so I welded in two uprights and made mine a three window. It also makes the hardtop a lot stronger. If I ever find a good rear window, all I have to do is cut out the uprights. This is the only picture I have that shows it.
s67-L.jpg

99ZoomR

Gold Level Sponsor
I just purchased a S2 Alpine and also have the hardtop with no window. I sent a quote request to Aircraft Windshield last night and will post the price quote once I hear back. I'll also be glad to join a list if a group order would make the price a little lower.

Thanks...Len

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Now that is what I call real ingenuity! That looks great from this side, very good looking Alpine, too!

DanR

Here is one more option. 25 years ago I looked for a new rear window, with no luck, so I welded in two uprights and made mine a three window. It also makes the hardtop a lot stronger. If I ever find a good rear window, all I have to do is cut out the uprights. This is the only picture I have that shows it.
s67-L.jpg

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
I sent them an email this morning asking if there was a discount for 5 or 10 units. I'll let you know how they respond.

Outspokin

Silver Level Sponsor
Series II Hardtop Glass

Hey, I need one too - if they don't go too high. I was going to make a form and warm some Lexan over it otherwise...

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
I sent them an email this morning asking if there was a discount for 5 or 10 units. I'll let you know how they respond.

It's been a week and no answer. I absolutely HATE IT when a business has an email form on their website, you use it, and no one responds! :mad:

Looks like I'll have to call them.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ok, so I heard back. Price quote for clear, 3/16" thickness:

Units 1-3 = $225 each.
4+ units = $202.50 each.

Did not mention shipping so I've asked for that - probably not cheap.

Based on this thread we have an interest for 7 units. Pass the word around and let's see if we can get more people interested.

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sunbeam Specialties was selling these for $210.00 when he had them in stock. Maybe Rick would go in with us and buy a few too? He could add some to his old retail to make a profit.
This may be the last chance for these for a long time! Thanks for taking the initiative Scott and getting the ball rolling.

Cheers,

lhb009

Donation Time
in the market for at least one

If you get an order together, I would also like in on it, I've got one missing and my dad can't see through his. Anyone tried getting one from classicsunbeam?

Thanks,
Lowell

chazza

Donation Time
Top work Scott!

I am still very keen, even though the freight could be nasty to my place :)

Cheers Charlie

iiAtlas

Donation Time
S3 Glass

Hi all,

I have a 1964 S3 hardtop, but the back seems to be plastic. Is glass an option?

IMG_0817.JPG

Thanks!

65beam

Donation Time
hardtop

the series 3 used a different hardtop than the top for series 1 & 2 alpines. your top is the same as series 4 & 5 alpines and all tigers. both tops had plastic windows but the window being discussed is only for the series 1 & 2 alpines. there have been glass rear windows made for your top along with glass side windows. I believe there might be some in the works on the west coast. the problem is that the glass adds a lot of weight to the top and that wears the paint even worse than it does with the plastic window. new plastic windows are available from sunbeam specialties.