• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear Disc Brakes for a Sunbeam Alpine! Tiger?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've read what I could find on rear disc for a Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger. Lots of suggestions! It appears most are for a modified rear axle not a stock as coming on your Sunbeam.

On this site you will find there are lots of great ideas put forth for assisting with about anything you can imagine. In this case, much has already been provided to me in the form of advice and suggestions most of the ideas have been adopted. My good friend Bill Blue has been very generous doing machine work and giving me the 1st set of 1992 Saturn SC rear calipers and rotors he had used on his Alpine with the 8" FORD rear. They are fairly plentiful and economically reasonable to obtain. Jim Nichols and Barry Knight are always there when help is needed providing that keen expert knowledge I lack. Many thanks Guys!!

Owning several Sunbeam Alpines and being fairly familiar with their braking systems proves to me there is some improvement that can/could be accomplished to make it better. In this case I have taken the effort to design rear brake mounts/brackets that will easily adopt to the Alpine & Tiger rear axle whereby disc calipers can be added for better stopping power. The Saturn are designed with an E-Brake application similar to the Sunbeam.

The Mount Brackets my Draftsman/Engineer drafted up and laser cut are interchangeable (right of left). The E-Brake Lever is designed specific Right or Left and replace the Saturn lever.

Pictures are worth more than I can adequately describe, so here are some PICs' (E-mailing tiger2dan at gmail dot com ). PIC on the top right is the stock Saturn E brake lever that needs to be replaced by my "Lever"

Attachments

• Alpine Rear Disc Brackets by DanR                  20191121_165903.jpg
    Alpine Rear Disc Brackets by DanR 20191121_165903.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 238
  • Rear Disc E Brake Lever 20191213_105111 (2).jpg
    Rear Disc E Brake Lever 20191213_105111 (2).jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 234
  • Rear E Brake Lever by DanR   20191213_105744 (2).jpg
    Rear E Brake Lever by DanR 20191213_105744 (2).jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 234
  • Alpine Rear Disc with E-Brake by DanR           20191214_175905.jpg
    Alpine Rear Disc with E-Brake by DanR 20191214_175905.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 238
  • Alpine Rear Disc with E-Brake by DanR           20191214_175814.jpg
    Alpine Rear Disc with E-Brake by DanR 20191214_175814.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Nice work Dan. When will these go on sale, and how much will they be? I will be taking delivery of my project next week, and I think it has a stock rear end.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
What Dan alluded to but failed to mention: This setup utilizes the stock Alpine E-Brake activating mechanism. Modified a tad, of course. But still recognizable and effective.

Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Very nice I have some pesky Fix It Again Tonio off of an X19 . They squeak like a mouse ...
I just sent this thread to a pal who's fiddling with his brakes.
What's great about SAOCA and recently CAT both now support hobby vendors and pro restorers alike. Great job Dan

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan, Very nice!
My Thanks! To you, Barry and Mr Bill Blue for your invaluable info and help!

I'm still putting this together. Need to discuss the Master Brake Cylinder, what to do with the Rotors and how to change out the E-Brake lever!

All simple enough, But, attention to details is necessary:)

Stay Tuned more to come,

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
When will these go on sale, and how much will they be?

I plan to have a cost for the Brackets and E-Brake lever next week! Haven't received total cost from My Fabricator yet!

I will try to have the instructions done for the DIY installation if anyone needs help.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The best answer is probably. I had them stuffed inside 13" alloys, but needed to use button bolts on the brake line banjos. So it would appear logical they would fit inside 14" with no problem. However, not all wheels are made the same. Even if Dan's will fit a 14" wheel over them is no guarantee they would fit all 14" wheels.

Bill

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,

These look great! Funny as I was thinking of changing my rear to a Mazda. Time to rethink that!
Cheers!
Steve

Fergusonic

Donation Time
I'm guessing those Installation Instructions with pics will be posted in the Featured Articles.... hint hint. ... so people can see what they would be getting into.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Question and Answer time:

Q. What size cylinder bore are the Calipers?
A. Best I can tell, 1.25 -1.27 inch (32mm)
Alpine Rear Disc with E brake by DanR        20191214_175843.jpg
A recommendation I received: With a stock brake pedal, I would go with an 11/16" tandem master cylinder.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Looks like you made progress on the ebrake lever. Since 14" wheels are recommended for clearance, I am guessing that 13" wire wheels are out of the question. Nice setup on the rear disc conversion. Will be watching for updates...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not necessarily. The steel wheel of the wires is thinner than the aluminum of an alloy wheel, allowing more mounting space. They may work just fine, depending on their design and how they set on the axle in relation to the hub. There are too many critical unknowns to make a final judgment. Until someone does a trial fitting, it is all speculation.

A cross section view of the wire wheel would help a lot. Where is the smallest I.D., the inside of the wheel or the outside? If outside, you have a decent chance of them working. If inside, very doubtful.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Haven't had a chance to try them on the 13" wires on my '65SIVSTOD 70 Yet!

I have three different sets of 13" wheels two are steel/Aluminum and one wire. One set of 15" Aluminum wheels.

I shall keep you Gents informed!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, do you want me to send the low profile banjo bolts to you? I don't think they are available commercially.

Bill