• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear Disc Brakes for a Sunbeam Alpine! Tiger?

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have 14×6 panasport minilites. When I put the wheels on, there was a millimeter or two clearance between the wheel and the caliper. I addressed this by installing longer studs and some 1/2" spacers. This was the before shot. Very tight.

20230318_142332.jpg

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Bill/Dan - my exhaust pipe is in the way of the e-brake rod getting to the lever on the caliper. Thoughts on bending it to fit? I wouldn't have to bend it much. Just to curve it around a little. But, I'm concerned that the constant pulling and pressure will ultimately stretch it straight again and rubbing against the pipe.

Also, in playing with it, I think I might try using the stock rod to bend it. It will shorten it a little, and then give me more play with the other side.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I chose to ditch the original rod assembly and use flexible parking brake cables. I just finished installing them today, it was very easy to route.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill/Dan - my exhaust pipe is in the way of the e-brake rod getting to the lever on the caliper. Thoughts on bending it to fit? I wouldn't have to bend it much. Just to curve it around a little. But, I'm concerned that the constant pulling and pressure will ultimately stretch it straight again and rubbing against the pipe.

Also, in playing with it, I think I might try using the stock rod to bend it. It will shorten it a little, and then give me more play with the other side.
Jay, I had to bend my E-brake rod on my Blue Boy V6 because of the dual exhaust pipes, but not on my SIV 1725 with wire wheels

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
What do you mean? Did you get a longer cable and put a pulley at one of the calipers?
No, I bought a kit that included two very flexible jacketed cables. The kit was made for the saturn calipers. The two cable jackets terminate at this bracket where inner cables extend to the shackle that mounts to the brake lever.20230513_130439.jpg

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I also used cables.
RIMG0399-XL.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
No, I bought a kit that included two very flexible jacketed cables. The kit was made for the saturn calipers. The two cable jackets terminate at this bracket where inner cables extend to the shackle that mounts to the brake lever.View attachment 28825
Alan, I would like to know the source and part numbers you found for your modification with the rod/cable. Very interesting.

I have to remove the Saturn "levers" to make my kit work using the stock Alpine/Tiger pieces.

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I bought my own saturn calipers and just used the existing ebrake levers. It was very easy. I had a local fab shop working on my dana 44, and he said he had to make a few mods to mount the calipers. I am not exactly sure what he had to change. I didnt think it was related to the brake levers.

I will get back to you with the source of parts for the cables and linkage.

Brian

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan, I sent you a text with the link to Amazon I used to buy my cable kit. It looks exactly like a wilwood kit they also have, that costs twice as much.

Last edited:

Jay Laifman

Donation Time

I wanted to report that this is what I did. It worked perfectly. I bent the rod a little to go around the exhaust, then I cut the end a little shorter, and put another little 90* bend to go into the e-brake lever, using the stock clip. Bing, bang, boom. Fits and works great.

I also want to report how happy I am with the product and how the car brakes now. So firm. So balanced. I had asked DanR if I needed any different balancing. Silly question. Beautifully balanced. And if I didn't mention it above, I changed my .70 MC to a .75 MC, without a booster. I really like the firmness, but not too firm. (I can't fit the full size MC because of the Webers. I have the servo on the Tiger and it does work great. So I'm not anti servo.)

I will also add that admittedly my early, self bleeds didn't really work. I was blessed to have both my sons home and with free time. I had one at the pedal, one at the MC, and I was at the bleeder valve. We did a full and fast bleed, and now perfect. It's amazing how much better it goes when I don't have to keep popping up and checking on the reservoir. Ha.

(Adding the word disk to this thread because I searched for this thread first using "disk" and it didn't show up until I used disc. "Disc" is the "correct" British spelling. But just in case anyone else searches for this using the US spelling.)

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I have the Motive brake bleeder, which I agree is the most amazing thing ever. It pressurizes the MC reservoir and pushes fluid through it. The problem is that it doesn't have an adapter that fits on the top of my MC.

I don't tend to like the ones like you show. They risk sucking air back in through the threads of the bleeder screw. They would be perfect if you have bleeder screws that have the spring valve inside the bleeder screw. I just don't have those on the Alpine now. And I don't know that the threads on these new calipers are deep enough for one of those screws.

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have the Motive brake bleeder, which I agree is the most amazing thing ever. It pressurizes the MC reservoir and pushes fluid through it. The problem is that it doesn't have an adapter that fits on the top of my MC.

I don't tend to like the ones like you show. They risk sucking air back in through the threads of the bleeder screw. They would be perfect if you have bleeder screws that have the spring valve inside the bleeder screw. I just don't have those on the Alpine now. And I don't know that the threads on these new calipers are deep enough for one of those screws.
I put teflon tape on the bleeder screw when I have to use a suction bleeder.....works fine

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor

There is no risk of air getting back in if you are using it correctly, meaning the bottle is the highest point. You can even use the gravity method with this as there is always fluid in the line and eventually the bottle.