• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Radiator

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you have a good radiator shop near by, I can send you a source for a core that my Radiator Guy uses for my recored and modified radiators.

They work nicely as replacements for thhe stock frame. All copper 16 or 17 fin per inch (FPI) and nearly double the stock which only have 9FPI normally and three tubes. More FPI allow for better disipation of heat.

I have had some Guys send their radiators to Gerald's for recore and or modification.

Not a cheap way, but a very reliable one.

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
I second Dan's suggestion..

Had mine re-cored last year with better, more modern guts.
Fitment was not exactly as it was before but very close, and I had to radius the mounting brackets slightly to get it to sit in the proper place.

Other than that I am very happy and the car has been running cool (and not leaking) ever since.

Here is the original core and the updated radiator

51959168987_12ac0c09ff_b.jpg

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
My radiator guy proved to me that aluminum just doesn't dissipate heat like copper does. He took two pieces
of metal, same thickness, one copper and one aluminum and heated them to the same temp. After 10-15 minutes
the copper could be handled whereas the aluminum was still hot.

Most modern rads in newer cars are in fact aluminum, but look at the spacing and number of fans & shrouds
on them. If you can get large amounts of air through the aluminum it will cool. The issue with the Alpine & Tiger
is that there's not a great deal of air induction space to make the aluminum work efficiently. It can work reasonably
well, but will not cool like copper. There are some great cores with 3 & 4 rows of large tubes that will make sure you
never overheat. The best thing you can do is change your coolant every other year, but that's another topic.

Do yourself a favor and get your current radiator recored. The cost will most definitely be higher, but your results
will be much more rewarding......for years!

Just my 2 cents.

Positraktion

Gold Level Sponsor
I have had my current rad (4 row) flushed and cleaned last year. They said she was good.
Still heats up more than I would like.
Great on highway but minute I get in stop and go traffic she heats up, doesn't boil over but temp is up there.

alpine_64

Donation Time
My radiator guy proved to me that aluminum just doesn't dissipate heat like copper does. He took two pieces
of metal, same thickness, one copper and one aluminum and heated them to the same temp. After 10-15 minutes
the copper could be handled whereas the aluminum was still hot.
There is no doubt copper is a better metal for heat dissipation than aluminum, there are 2 reasons modern cars use aluminum...
1. Cost
2. Light weight

The copper radiators are a lot heavier than alloy

It should also be noted that the alloy radiators are most effective in comparison when they habe decent airflow over them.. Their static dissipation is not as good as other material static transfer... So a good high cfm electric fan is uselful on an alloy radiator and you can ditch the mechanical fan from the pulley.. More weight saving

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
You might check things besides the radiator. Some suggestions here: https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/ind...th-any-overheating-problem.26719/#post-190591

There is the issue with casting sand and junk accumulating in the cooling jacket in the block.
https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/engine-block-clean-out.30301/#post-219973

Tiger Tom and Chuck King did some mods on Tigers and checked their impact on cooling. Their conclusions have some carry over to Alpines.
https://www.teae.org/cooling-the-sunbeam-tiger/

Mike

Opa64

Donation Time
Does anyone know what American auto radiator could be used in a Sunbeam Alpine Series IV?
Thanks in advance
I believe the aluminum radiator I bought a few years ago is in California. They made them just for Alpines that were overheating during races. They added an extra row of tubes. Direct replacement. I will dig up the paperwork and get back to you.