• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Radiator Bypass Hose

ducsingle

Donation Time
At some point the radiator bypass hose on my V8 Alpine was disconnected.

The big Tiger cooling article indicates that eliminating the radiator bypass hose increases coolant temperature at idle. The article seemed to postulate that the increased water flow through the radiator resulted in less cooling, but I'm wondering if the loss of coolant fluid capacity (without the bypass hose) might contribute as well

Any thoughts?

ceecpa

Donation Time
I think the bypass hose keeps small amounts of coolant circulating when the thermostat is closed. This - primarily - reduces cavitation at the water pump impeller. The conclusion in the article is somewhat true in that cylinder head temperature would be greater at idle when the thermostat is closed, however, there should be no effect when the thermostat is open.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

As mentioned, it is there to stop cavitation but in my opinion I would replace the bypass hose. You only need the thermostat to fail and then your in trouble.

Regards, Robin.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Bypass hose

we're not using a bypass hose get a 180 deg. robertshaw thermostat and drill 3 - 3/16 " holes in it to bypass the fluid, you can get from Stewart Components in Escanaba Michigan or do it your self. we have no cooling
problems with this setup, however we did build our own rad, not like any thing you can buy.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you need a source for the bypass hose, you can get them through National Parts Depot (Mustang Parts Catalog). It's molded with a 90 degree bend in it. Trim to fit.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

For what a piece of hose and a couple of clamps is worth, I don't understand the reason to remove the bypass :confused: . What is the reason for removing it??

Thanks, Robin.