• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Racing photos

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve has already been in touch with Claire and is sharing photos and information with her.

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
I get an error message: 'service unavailable'. I wonder if the site is limited to IP addresses from the US?

Hello,
my name is Claire May and Serge May is my long-deceased uncle, whom I never met. I tried to look at some of the photos with him but cannot succeed. Can you help me? Our family would be thrilled. Clairebusiness@online.de. Thanks ever so much

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I get an error message: 'service unavailable'. I wonder if the site is limited to IP addresses from the US?

Nope, I can't get in either, and I'm in the States.

Mike

The Http/1.1 Service Unavailable response is equivalent to a 503 Service Unavailable response and means the server at http://homepage.mac.com/johnwilson1942/sunbeam/index.html is not responding. Not a PC or browser issue; the problem has to be resolved on the website end.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
HERE is a good example of a thread about pictures, found on the Web, that are NO longer available.

So much for "once on the web...FOREVER ..."... THING.

If you want pictures to STAY available on the forum, they NEED to be copied and Down loaded.....sigh....

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
It was only a mater of time before his photography business website went away.
The WayBackMachine on the Internet Archive (http://web.archive.org) is a great way to recover 'deceased' websites. For example, here is our website as I first discovered it in 1999/2000. It isn't perfect - especially for older website - and some graphics are lost and you can only go a couple of levels deep, but it is still amazing what can be found there. http://web.archive.org/web/20001006134610/http://sunbeamalpine.org/content.html

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Yes, very cool livery. I wonder where the car is now. Where is Steve when we need him?

And the first picture shows a badge on the right of the trunk - like a Tiger. I wonder what that was.

I believe this car may have had factory support. I wonder if the Imp has any fame.

alpine_64

Donation Time
And the first picture shows a badge on the right of the trunk - like a Tiger. I wonder what that was.

Jay.. As a series 3 owner.. You only had the 2 side sheilds... The SIV and V have the sheild on the right of the boot (trunk) not a tiger thing.

The sticker on the left looks like a dealer or race team logo

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Ah, I totally forgot.

Meanwhile, I just got this from the guy who first raced the Alpine, Doug Cook (also shown as Dave Cook):

At the time I was involved with a BMC & Routes Group dealership. The rep from Sunbeam offered a package of two cars, the Alpine and a Imp. They were not interested in campaigning Tiger. They finally agreed and supplied the cars at a discounted price and full support for parts and assistance from their rally group.
I did well with the Alpine, but it certainly did not handle like the Elva! My partner did ok with the Imp but the Tiger was difficult due to it’s handling and the limited modifications allowed by SCCA. We consulted with the Shelby guys and their suggestion was “cut the car in half and add six inches to the wheel base”. Chrysler bought Routes Group and that was the end of the sponsorship.The cars were sold eventually to private parties, and I have no info about them. I stayed active with SCCA for a few years with the Alpine, I had negotiated a purchase of a Elva BMW but received a job offer from Alfa Romeo that is a whole new story for a different time!