• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

quick speedo question for newbie

hopsedge

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've read a number of posts about speedo cables, how to route them, why they "snap," etc. But how can you tell if the speedo cable has snapped without moving the car? I was reattaching my speedo cable to the back of the speedo itself, when the inner cable suddenly seemed to slide out of the outer cable by about 5/8 inch. Now it will not slide back in far enough to allow the threaded barrel to engage the threads on the speedo (photo). I can slide the inner cable further out, and back and forth, but I can never make it slide in far enough inside the outer cable to reattach it. It feels and sounds like it's hitting something. And yes, I have noted the squared end of the inner cable and how it has to fit just right.

Have I somehow pulled the other end of the cable free from its connection? Is this what a snapped speedo cable feels like in your hands?

Thx

Attachments

• speedo cable end at speedo.jpg
    speedo cable end at speedo.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 27

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Eric,
Can you pull that end all the way out? Of it has snapped the broken end should pull freely out.
Do you have the other end in the trans? If so, take it out and see if you can push your end back in.
Also, you can spin the inner cable with your fingers and see if the other end is also spinning, if not
it's probably broken. I suspect that the other end ( on the trans) came out and won't go fully
back in the trans.
Good luck!
Steve

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
The inner cable can be pulled out from either end fairly easily. Pull it all the way out and look at it. You probably want to clean it off and re-lubricate it anyway. To put it back in while it's on the car, you may be better off using a cordless drill to slowly spin it. When you get close to all the way in, remove the drill and use your fingers to turn it until it slides back in the square pocket in the tranny.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The speedo cable lube needs to be very, very thin (or soft). I used to have that grease I bought 50 years ago. Today I would use the Lubriplate #105 motor assembly grease. It is very smooth.
Jan

hopsedge

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks, everybody. I’ll investigate more this weekend & report back here what I find.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Eric,
Can you pull that end all the way out? Of it has snapped the broken end should pull freely out.
Do you have the other end in the trans? If so, take it out and see if you can push your end back in.
Also, you can spin the inner cable with your fingers and see if the other end is also spinning, if not
it's probably broken. I suspect that the other end ( on the trans) came out and won't go fully
back in the trans.
Good luck!
Steve

Agreed, sounds like it's come adrift at the gearbox end.
Get underneath and undo the cable ferule at rear trans extension housing, feed the cable down from the speedo end and engage in the the drive square at the gearbox end. Refit at the speedo end and tighten up the ferule nuts at both ends

hopsedge

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve (Sunalp) and beamdream had it right. My speedo cable had pulled free from the tranny.