• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Project Sunbeam For Sale

afssanders

Donation Time
61 Sunbeam Alpine for sale.

There is quite literally to many things to list about this car. Plus I can't remember all of them. Usually walking around the car and looking at all the one of a kind hand built parts helps to jog my memory, that and the thousands of photos and 100s of hours of video I took of the car being built. You have to see it to believe it. The work was all done professionally in some cases above and beyond most pros abilities. This car is truly one of a kind and if finished right will be the nicest Sunbeam ever built. It would be pretty hard to screw it up at this point considering it's basically done. Just a few more decisions to be made.
As I was building the car the first thought was function and the second was the way it looked, so this car is not a show queen that one drives on and off a trailer, because that's all it's good for. It was built to be driven and I really did enough driving it even if it was for a short 500 miles.
As quite a few of you are aware of I over booster my engine. It spiked out at 22 psi. I haven't touched it since. I know now the limits of the stock Zetec engine and it can easily be tuned for it. Quite frankly 12 pound of boost is enough for most people anyways and the stock Zetec can handle it. I drove around at 12lb for a couple of weeks before getting carried away. The nice thing about a Ford Zetec is they are cheap 700-800 for a short block. I'd be willing to install it for a grand plus the cost of gaskets and a short block if that's the route you'd like to take. Cosworth parts to make it bullet proof and allow the turbo to fully spool up are about 4-5 grand, then you could boost the poop out of it. It'll need the oil pan repaired too. It has two holes in it. Easy fix really and it was custom made, so it's not like you can go buy one anyways.

The reason I am selling the car is my life has changed. I'm not that interested in cars any longer. I guess I've just been around them too long or have lost the passion for them. I still enjoy building stuff though and would be willing to help whoever that buys it finish the car.

Here's a batch of the latest photos of the car

http://gallery.me.com/mnwheelers#100660&bgcolor=black&view=grid

After you're done looking at those. look at the top left corner and click on the "my galley" button. It'll take you back to the main gallery where you can see all the photos and videos of the car being built. I'd start at the beginning if I were interested in buying it. Original Sunbeam, then Sunbeam 08, then 09, then Project Sunbeam and then move onto the videos.

I want $30,000.00 in check and $15,000.00 in cash for the car. It may seem like a lot, but I'm sure most of you are aware of the time and money put into this car far exceeds that. I doubt very much you build a car like this for less then $150,000 I should know I use to build them. The paint job alone would cost $35,000.00 if you could find someone that could actually do it. If the car doesn't sell here I'm listing it on Hemmings, and eBay.

alpine_64

Donation Time
John,

It's an amazing car.. amazing workmanship... and a display of your talents. I wish you well in selling the car, but to be honest, i think you should consider focusing the advertising in more mod/hot rod scene. There have been some amazing cars for sale on the board here over the years (most recently Bill Atalla's harrington) and sometimes this forum is not the best venue for this level of vehicle.

I hope it finds an appreciative owner who can finsh the job as it should be done.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
John

Somehow I just can't believe that you would ever sell this car after all the work and details you have accomplished.

But as you say life can change and I know only too well what can bring a drastic change.

I was offered really good money for my Lister version but still I will not sell regardless as I really don't need any extra money.

I do hope things work out for you in the future

Enjoy life

jammont

Donation Time
sunbeam

Hey John
If you don't mind me asking the engine compartment looks pretty tight...did you do anything special to remove the heat in the engine bay?
Jamie

wipeout

Donation Time
Argh....what madness is this?

This is, by far, the best mod I've ever seen on a finned beauty. My all time favorite build to follow. The artistry that you put in this wonderful car has always blown my mind. I've sent your picture links to all my gear head friends and they agree that this car is something special.

I hope that the "life changes" that you speak of are of the positive kind and not related to any disasters.

I agree with Alpine_64, you should list this with high dollar auctions or listing agencies. But no one will appreciate that beauty more than us lovers of the finned Sunbeams.

This is, quite honestly, a bit traumatic for me. I placed your build on that "unattainable" pedestal of workmanship and now it's right in front of me, for sale. And I can do nothing but watch it fall into the hands of someone who didn't see her come to being.

Sad day, I hope someone gives you the check price in the form of cash. Good luck with the sell.

:)

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Wipeout wrote:
"I hope someone gives you the check price in the form of cash."

Just FYI, the original post has an "and" in that sentence, rather than an "or".

wipeout

Donation Time
I just went back through all your pics....

no one has enough money to pay for this vehicle...

truthfully...I'd take this over any car I can think of...

damn...why wasn't I born a Rothchild...

=p

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Humm....On second thought. That IS a nice car. Really nice. I'd love to have it also. But, John Wheeler, not only can I not afford it, NO ONE can! There's no other way to sell it other than lowering the price! :D It's Saturday night as I type this...I bet than contoured windshield and all the rest of that car would be such a sweet ride on a 65 degree beautiful night like tonight. :)