• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Prittie HLM SOLD - SOLD - SOLD

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
This SAOCA website allows the whole World to navigate through many pathways. Often the readings are for knowledge and specific understandings about Rootes vehicles. Occasionally there are stories of humorous adventures or romantic sagas. Every treasured commentary has special meaning.

John Prittie, with trepidation, provided that infrequent SAOCA gullion by submitting his Harrington Le Mans (HLM) for sale. There are only around thirty five (35) road worthy Harrington Le Mans vehicles in the World. Prittie's offering was of great interest to me because it was the sixth export production model produced after my promotional HLM. Initial contact through SAOCA provided an opening that led to email and phone number exchanges with Prittie. Swapping information was mainly written and provided an excellent record of our communications. What I discovered was another "car nut" like myself that had an eclectic passion for cars. With each exchange about Prittie's HLM it became apparent there was a rich history. Even the name Naomi that Prittie called his HLM was historical.

Go back to 1978 when Tiger Tom Ehrhart (TT) purchased this HLM. Inject the body work by Scott Woerth and the collection of TT's NOS Sunbeam parts and there is a HLM package ready for restoration. That task was taken on by Prittie in 2008 after the purchase and shipment of Naomi to Napa, California. In 2010 the restoration was completed by Prittie and other experts. Naomi had limited use for Napa Valley outings and a few local car shows. Then Naomi was put into storage for the last five (5) years. Prittie shared a story with me relating to a longtime friend, Joanna. Joanna asked, "What type of car are you working on?" Prittie replied, "A Harrington Le Mans." Joanna exclaimed, "My grandfather built that car." Joanna went on to explain that Gordon H. Harrington, General Manager of the Harrington factory in the 1960s, was her grandfather. Her mom was Harrington's daughter, Naomi. There is a photo hanging on Naomi's living room wall of Gordon H. Harrington (on right) with another Harrington executive standing next to the first Harrington Le Mans built . Thus, the proper name for this HLM is Naomi.
index.php

With gratitude to Prittie my new ownership/stewardship will be a pleasure. As I do with all of my cars the previous owner will continue their car's amazing saga with me.

Naomi in my shop.

upload_2021-12-1_11-2-4.png
upload_2021-12-1_11-2-46.png

napa 1

Donation Time
It was with much hesitation and emotion that i decided it was time to send Naomi off to see the world through the stewardship of another Harrington buff. I couldn't be happier that it was Jerry Logan who answered the call. I did the best I could with the restoration, but the few things she still needs to bring her to perfection, including rebuilding of her original numbers matching engine, will be well attended by Jerry. His passion for the marque and interest in showing her and telling the tale of this special car makes it almost as exciting for me as owning her. Thanks to all who helped me along the way. Absolutely couldn't have done it with out the help, parts, input, support of the Harrington community. Don't know if I posted this pic before, but this is Thomas Harrington's great great grandson Ben, sitting in the car a few years ago. (you can see the resemblance to Gordon Harrington from the publicity shot above)

Attachments

• IMG_3502.jpg
    IMG_3502.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 64

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Glad to hear you are giving it a great new home Jerry. What is better than a Harrington Le Mans? Two or more of them!
And I can remember seeing this car sitting in the basement of Tiger Tom's garage many years ago all apart....

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Can't exactly explain why, but I'm just imagining a nice calendar photo with a black and white HLM back to back ;)

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Great idea Bernd. Will have to wait for the 2023 calendar though as the 2022 one is at the printers now!
I will say that a few Harringtons will be in this next year's calendar.....

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Eric, good call on the 2022 calendar with HLMs. It will be the 60th anniversary for the Harrington Le Mans. Bernd, maybe I can get creative with a two for one photo and provide a month for others.

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
Congratulations Jerry, a worthy new custodian. I'm just sorry I failed to meet with John on one of my last US business trips before being laid off, as I miscalculated my departure time from SFO and had to cancel - or miss my flight back home. I think this HLM is next to mine in the registry.

NN LeMans

Donation Time
I, too, remember this car in Tiger Tom's basement. I saw it when buying some Harrington parts and carpeting from Tom in the late '80's or early '90's. In fact, I bought some extra rear hatch molding from John. It is a beautiful and rare car that has been thoroughly restored. Congratulations and I know that you will take great care of this piece of automotive history.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I, too, remember this car in Tiger Tom's basement. I saw it when buying some Harrington parts and carpeting from Tom in the late '80's or early '90's. In fact, I bought some extra rear hatch molding from John. It is a beautiful and rare car that has been thoroughly restored. Congratulations and I know that you will take great care of this piece of automotive history.

I appreciate the factoids. I'm rebuilding the numbers matching 1592 for this HLM called, Naomi. John P. provided the entire written communications he had with Tiger Tom during the acquisition of Naomi. I have read it four times.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Excellent that you are rebuilding the proper engine for Naomi. Do you happen to know which level of tune it came with when supplied originally ? Zeniths or Webers?

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just like my Promotional HLM, Naomi came with Zeniths. However, as with my PLHM I'm going to fit Webers with a goose neck intake manifold. I have the original Zeniths that Prittie rebuilt. So the Zeniths could be installed at anytime.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Excellent that you are rebuilding the proper engine for Naomi. Do you happen to know which level of tune it came with when supplied originally ? Zeniths or Webers?
I suspect very few Harrington or LM had DCOE from new, the stage III hartwell engine was still Zeniths.... But thanks to that early autocar HA road test with the stage III motor + webers people assume the stage III cars were dcoe equiped.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
If I'm not totally mistaken the original stage III tuning option for HLM's came with Webers. Jerry: Gooseneck inlet means a single DCOE then, right ?

alpine_64

Donation Time
If I'm not totally mistaken the original stage III tuning option for HLM's came with Webers. Jerry: Gooseneck inlet means a single DCOE then, right ?
Bernd... Im not sure that the dcoe was part of stage iii.

Gooseneck is the warnerford/ redline style twin dcoe manifold that lifts the carbs higher and has a S profile in elevation of the intake runners.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Michael, spot on. I'm getting the twin DOCE goose neck Weber manifold. Apparently it was the "last one" from Procarb in Australia.

Bernd & Michael, the HLM's stage III+ tuning did provide for a special order from Hartwell for the twin 40 DOCE package (very rare). The III+ also increased the compression ration from 10.1:1 to 10.2:1. I will be building the 1592 engines with a 10.1:1 compression ratio. Thus, making highest and best use of the KB grind cam and the lightened components (flywheel/pressure plate - crank to balance lightened pistons and rods - lightened rocker system), the Vizard head with ported and polished intake/exhaust ports, the 4 into 1 header and the tuned distributor for mechanical advance. Good thing I'm retired otherwise I wouldn't have enough functional physical life left to personally do all my remaining projects.

alpine_64

Donation Time

The III+ also increased the compression ration from 10.1:1 to 10.2:1. I will be building the 1592 engines with a 10.1:1 compression ratio. Thus, making highest and best use of the KB grind cam and the lightened components (flywheel/pressure plate - crank to balance lightened pistons and rods - lightened rocker system), the Vizard head with ported and polished intake/exhaust ports, the 4 into 1 header and the tuned distributor for mechanical advance.

Jerry, how are you getting to the 10.2:1 ? The vizard head mods will knock comp back a few points, assume you will have flat tops.. But is it a heavily skimmed the head or decked block?