• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pretty in Pink

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The famous Playboy Pink Tiger wasn't the only pink car in Playboy, it seems! I present the lovely Miss Marilyn Cole, with a very handsome Volvo P1800....

fam_3_1.jpg
fam_3_2.jpg

And the original... I wonder, does anybody know where she is these days? Ahem. The Tiger, I mean. And I wonder... does Playboy still give a new, pink car to each new "Playmate of the Year"?

pink_tiger.jpg
pinkbunny.jpg

(Interesting factoid: Marilyn was the first full frontal in Playboy.)

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
There were also the Playboy Pink Mustangs. Friends of mine in Pensacola, Fl had one of the 1967 Playboy Pink convertibles.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Interesting front emblem on that car, though... I don't think I've seen one like that before... I'm not sure it was a factory item, but perhaps a club item... or was it Playboy exclusive? Looks like it says "Sunbeam Tiger" and perhaps has a tiger and checkered flag logo:

PinkEmblem.jpg

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Kevin:

That hood badge on Jo Collins' pink Tiger appears to be a center cap sticker on the three-pronged spinner of a Tiger LAT-70 wheel. It may be an optical illusion, but the hood badge may be slightly bigger than the center cap sticker I'm referring to. Either way, that's where it came from.

Take care,

agmason

Donation Time
The car still exists , at least it did in August of 2005. Norm's web site has it in Surrey, British Columbia Canada. It would be interesting to know if the car is still pink with the round hood emblem.

Entry: B9470457 LRX Surrey CANBC 8/05

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The car was red when I last saw it 15+ years ago at a Sunbeam event (SUNI? Tigers United? Sunbeam Northwest?).

Show of hands! (guys only) Who would/wouldn't be willing to restore it in Playboy-pink and drive it in public?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Show of hands! (guys only) Who would/wouldn't be willing to restore it in Playboy-pink and drive it in public?

I would. Particularly if I could get a Bunny to ride with me. ;)

One of the early Turner Sports cars (I used to have car #68) was sold to Petula Clark, and it was painted by the factory in what was described at the time as "nipple pink". Now, I'm not sure whose nipples they were going by, but Ms. Clark was quite happy with the car and enjoyed it for many years. In fact, she liked it so much, she soon after bought a second one. The publicity helped Jack Turner's company immensely.

Interestingly, her Turner was assigned the rare number plate "1 BPC", which I can only imagine is a rather cherished plate by now, and probably worth a great deal more than the car!

Petula was used as a model for some early Turner advertising, though they for some reason didn't use her name very much. Here she is in her early Turner 803cc (although in black & white it's hard to tell it's actually pink!):

t_nos_petula1_ad.jpg

photo1.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Interesting front emblem on that car, though... I don't think I've seen one like that before... I'm not sure it was a factory item, but perhaps a club item... or was it Playboy exclusive? Looks like it says "Sunbeam Tiger" and perhaps has a tiger and checkered flag logo:

PinkEmblem.jpg

Kevin, its the LAT tiger logo, not a factory fitted thing.. but not unseen.. this is the LAT brochure page for the LAT 79 vented hood.. has the same badge:

click for larger image

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kevin, its the LAT tiger logo, not a factory fitted thing.. but not unseen.. this is the LAT brochure page for the LAT 79 vented hood.. has the same badge:

click for larger image

Yep, that's it. Anybody still have one, I wonder? I've never seen one.

I also wonder if anyone has any of those optional 'blocking plates' for the LAT hood! They have to be the rarest of the rare!

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Guys:

Here's an example of what I was talking about. I didn't have a pic of my Tiger's wheels here at the office so I pulled this one off of the SS website. It's clearly the same design as the hood badge in question. They also made one that said "Sunbeam Alpine."

Take care,

Attachments

• LAT 70 spinner.JPG
    LAT 70 spinner.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 12

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Guys:

Here's an example of what I was talking about. I didn't have a pic of my Tiger's wheels here at the office so I pulled this one off of the SS website. It's clearly the same design as the hood badge in question. They also made one that said "Sunbeam Alpine."

Take care,

Yeah, I'd seen the logo before, but never as a bonnet badge. So far nobody here has reported they've got one, so they must be pretty rare.