• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Potential Buyer of a '66 Alpine

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Alpine 64 & DanR, you are of course correct that the video is specifically Series III, IV and Mkl Tiger. I think when that video was made our intention was to link all the metal enclosures together by saying that Series I-IV had the metal bins. If anyone has video of the metal enclosures on Series I or II and would like us either to add it to The Sunbeam Alpine Channel or publish a link to your own video/channel etc we would gladly do this. There is a general lack of video material for the early cars and we would all benefit if more could be uploaded.
Tim R

Lake Marina

Donation Time
Thanks for all of the comments and information on my post and sorry for delay in response. I finally got a chance to see the '66 Alpine relative to my original post. It actually is the car I owned in '78 thru '91. I took a lot of photos but not sure how to get them all on here for review from you experts. Hopefully this YouTube link will work for a high level pass and maybe I can either get advice on how to post all the other photos on here or maybe i will have to upload them to google drive and provide a link to get the additional review/advice. I have about 30 photos I took.
The floor pans and trunk pan are shot and rocker panels are in bad shape. I remember welding in some patch sheets in the pans and bondo'ing the panels and a few other places in the late '80s. It appears the passenger door was "flung" open racking it bad. I had no way to see if the engine would turn but was told it was started ~3 years ago and that the rear lifter was stuck? Its basically been parked since '95 and appears to have no work done to it since I sold it in ~'91. What concerns me on that as who i sold it to must have driven it, did no work to it then "parked" it in '95 which possibly implies parked for some engine issue? It appears to have a clean title but was "re-titled" in 2015 but again appears to look clean. Anyway I wanted get something on here for some insight if this is a restorable project or if that sheet metal looks too far gone. The paint is faded, the interior seats and carpet i installed are shot and the new top is rotted to nothing which those can be addressed but again...it appears the guy mad it a driver then suddenly stopped so between that reason and the sheet metal rot im in need of some advice from those who have been through one of these. I did a a backyard resto to it in ~'87 i now have a new shop and been looking for a project but unsure how bad this old friend could be to restore. Any advice or comments appreciated. Also - To keep this focused if anyone has any idea what might be a fair price to offer for the car plaease PM for that side advice. Thanks!

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 49
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 47
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5370.jpg
    IMG_5370.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5383.jpg
    IMG_5383.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well, that's a project for sure. Consider that both interior and exterior need complete restoration and
that the engine is a pretty large unknown. Basically it can be restored, almost anything can be so long as
you have the resources to do it, either talent and time or a boat load of cash. The last complete Alpine I
did, which had a small amount of body work done and new rear floors cost the owner well over $20K.
That car still needs front floors, but he was ok with what was there.

It's a shame to see them in this state and that someone just lets them go. Just from the pictures you posted
I can see there's no horn ring on the steering wheel and that the radiator isn't the correct one. Just to give
you an idea, I paid $1500 for a car that had basically solid rear half ( trunk & rear areas ) but needs floors and
rockers. I considered it a parts car, and that was 3 years ago! Alpines aren't cheap anymore. I'm sure you have
sentimental attachment to this car, but perhaps that may be why you shouldn't buy it. You would be better
served to spend more and get a more solid car.

Lake Marina

Donation Time
Well, that's a project for sure. Consider that both interior and exterior need complete restoration and
that the engine is a pretty large unknown. Basically it can be restored, almost anything can be so long as
you have the resources to do it, either talent and time or a boat load of cash. The last complete Alpine I
did, which had a small amount of body work done and new rear floors cost the owner well over $20K.
That car still needs front floors, but he was ok with what was there.

It's a shame to see them in this state and that someone just lets them go. Just from the pictures you posted
I can see there's no horn ring on the steering wheel and that the radiator isn't the correct one. Just to give
you an idea, I paid $1500 for a car that had basically solid rear half ( trunk & rear areas ) but needs floors and
rockers. I considered it a parts car, and that was 3 years ago! Alpines aren't cheap anymore. I'm sure you have
sentimental attachment to this car, but perhaps that may be why you shouldn't buy it. You would be better
served to spend more and get a more solid car.
The sentimental influence kicked in for sure. My sister owned it, taught me to drive in it and sold it to me when she went off to college. I have fair resources but a bit leery of the amount of time and effort and my biggest fear would be the cost of what I may have to outsource.
Thanks for the reality check!

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Whatever you get, you'll put money into. It's just what it is. That's my definition of "Pride of Ownership" lol.

I started off with a worse condition SV car for $750 from the Nevada desert. No seats. No interior. Rotted floors. S1 Engine that had zero compression. I went through the process of 'sorting' it out. Sourced out an engine from Dale, rebuilt that, rebuilt the transmission, redid the gas tanks, had the body fixed and the car painted. The car had severe rust issues in the frame that rotted from the frame out and I parted that car and bought another one, a IV, from the Sacramento area of California with a thrown rod on the 1592 inside and fairly intact interior. I paid about 1K for that in 02. Swapped out my rebuilt parts into that. It was forced to sit for a bit due to the insanity of living and a few years back, with the help of these fine folks here and Al Mason, I rebuilt the brakes and got her back on the road.

Granted she needs paint, but PITA is a runner, damn near bulletproof reliable now and I know everything that's in her, when it was done and what level of quality it was done to, there's no guesswork anywhere in her. And though it all I learned how to be a halfway decent mechanic, learned how to problem solve on the fly and find solutions, some of which would irritate the purists among us. But she drives, she lives and lives very well and will live much better once she's painted.

People talk about money all the time but money ain't jack. You can't take that with you. After going through a lot of personal drama and tragedy, This Series IV is the last thing I have left that is truly mine. The money don't matter to me. Ask any Tiger guy about how much money they drop into a car and they'd laugh at you and say 'It's a Tiger' as if you wouldn't understand. But I do, especially if you're someone who love Tigers. There's an affection there that's universal.

Damn near every Alpine I see on Ebay or other places aren't complete and need work or have mileage on it. You can buy a running car but do you know how quality the builds are? Do you know what's been done or not? Are you ready to spend 12K on a car and then put in another 3-5 to make it right, correct or complete? If you do most of the work yourself, money is almost a non-concern. Parts are cheap and I'm in the process of building an engine on a stand, so you can do all of this. If you have to have it all done at a mechanic or body shop, however, go buy a Tiger. That’s the kind of money you’re looking at to have others do the work for you.

For reference, I have 12K in my SIV, but I broke ever with parting out what I had in backstock, both from the SV I had and extra things for my SIV, including a rebuilt Overdrive. I still have the OD driveshaft in storage, funny enough.

Bottom line is, what does this car mean to you and why do you want to do this? Answer that and you'll know which way you want to go. Frankly, I can't see living without an Alpine, there's nothing else like it. The more I work on it or drive it, the more I love it. For me it's a magical thing and the one real thing in my life that I completed. It has a very deep value to me.

As for the value of the car you have pictured, I'd offer them $500 and set my ceiling at 1K. They'd have to have a ton of parts for me to consider raising the ceiling to defray the cost.

Whatever you decide, good luck and know these folks will be here, myself included, to help you along your journey to restore it, if you decide to go that route. God speed.

Last edited:

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Basically anything can be restored if you have the time & money/talent. Take a real hard look at the spring mounting areas and X-frame under the car. We have some very talented people here who have successfully repaired those areas, but for most people heavy rust or perforation in those areas is terminal. As far as the engine goes are you interested in keeping it stock or would you consider coming over to the dark side?

Lake Marina

Donation Time
....Whatever you get, you'll put money into. It's just what it is. That's my definition of "Pride of Ownership" lol.
....Bottom line is, what does this car mean to you and why do you want to do this? Answer that and you'll know which way you want to go.
....As for the value of the car you have pictured, I'd offer them $500 and set my ceiling at 1K. They'd have to have a ton of parts for me to consider raising the ceiling to defray the cost.
I know what you mean on sinking money into things. I just revived my '78 Triumph Bonneville that I bought new when I was 18. It had been mostly dismantled and in boxes since '85 due to an accident. It took a lot of time and money to get it running again but it was always properly stored and was/is obviously a much smaller scale project in all aspects in comparison to reviving/restoring the Alpine!
It is an appealing thought to have side by side the very same vehicles I owned/drove/rode when I was 18 years old!
The current owner mentioned 3K for the Alpine and I'd assume he'd take less to a point as he said he bought it as a potential parts car to go with a '66 Tiger that somehow he found and bought as well.

Lake Marina

Donation Time
Basically anything can be restored if you have the time & money/talent. Take a real hard look at the spring mounting areas and X-frame under the car. We have some very talented people here who have successfully repaired those areas, but for most people heavy rust or perforation in those areas is terminal. As far as the engine goes are you interested in keeping it stock or would you consider coming over to the dark side?
Yes... I know what you mean but to caveat that (I believe) almost anything can be restored! Im a fairly recent retired 30 year machinist and spent my adult life in and around machining/fabrication/welding but more making industrial machinery or specialized tooling. I'm experienced enough to know a rotted car restoration is a different breed in the mechanical family. Unfortunately I dont have access to any of that equipment and only have the typical tools one might generically acquire over the years. I do however have a brand new shop to engage a project thiugh until i learned of this car was going to be restoring the two older motorcycles i own.
I just uploaded all of the photos i took of the car onto my google drive (see link below- I didnt want to bomb this site with 30 photos of a vehicle that I dont own!). I tried to get a lot of photos of the under carriage showing the sheet metal rot but not specifically the x-frame (but some vague areas of such).
Relative to the engine my thought (if went down this hippo hole) would be to first see if i could get the existing engine running. The dark side is intriguing but I don't think I would head down that road out of the gate!
One of my biggest fears would be chasing the rot and not finding adequate base metal to weld new pans/sheet etc.
If anyone has any additional comments on the photos in the link below it might help me end this notion!
Link to Additional Photos

Last edited:

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes... I know what you mean but to caveat that (I believe) almost anything can be restored! Im a fairly recent retired 30 year machinist and spent my adult life in and around machining/fabrication/welding but more making industrial machinery or specialized tooling. I'm experienced enough to know a rotted car restoration is a different breed in the mechanical family. Unfortunately I dont have access to any of that equipment and only have the typical tools one might generically acquire over the years. I do however have a brand new shop to engage a project thiugh until i learned of this car was going to be restoring the two older motorcycles i own.
I just uploaded all of the photos i took of the car onto my google drive (see link below- I didnt want to bomb this site with 30 photos of a vehicle that I dont own!). I tried to get a lot of photos of the under carriage showing the sheet metal rot but not specifically the x-frame (but some vague areas of such).
Relative to the engine my thought (if went down this hippo hole) would be to first see if i could get the existing engine running. The dark side is intriguing but I don't think I would head down that road out of the gate!
One of my biggest fears would be chasing the rot and not finding adequate base metal to weld new pans/sheet etc.
If anyone has any additional comments on the photos in the link below it might help me end this notion!
Link to Additional Photos

it looks really rough in the pics but it looks complete save the ignition switch on the dash. (Missing left side headlight bezel is sitting on the parcel shelf next to the battery box). I've never seen clear turn signal lenses before. I'm fascinated by how brand new looking the windshield, rubber on the glass and frame is in comparison to the rest of the car.

The only thing in those pictures that really scare me is that rocker and the weird warping on the frame, might just be me on the later, it doesn’t look right in the pic.

I would operate under the assumption that this SV may very well need a rotisserie to be properly sorted out, body-wise.

I don’t see 3k there. If you take time and effort with shipping, money and such and part it, there is ~3k there but there’s no telling how long it would take to reach that number, especially if bits have corrosion damage on them. Plus, there’s no guarantee that anything on or in the car is usable or salvageable, it’s all a pig in a poke.

I’d ask him what from the Alpine did he need to ‘restore’ this Tiger he claims to have, just out of curiosity. If I’m selling an Alpine parts car that I’m using to save a Tiger, I’d already have all of that out or cut off, not sitting in the middle of a field rusting to death.

I might be a cheapskate here but 1k is as far as I’d go and that’s after starting to source out pans and other metal bits. The seller may say no to you and a month or two later call you up to see if you’re still interested. Just a weird feeling. I’m strange like that.

Last edited:

windlessdog

Donation Time
Have a look at this Sunbeam blog for an idea of what the car may or may not be like once you start your resto work it can be definitely be daunting but this project just keeps marching forward and shows you what can be done good luck and I'm in the 1 K camp as well

Lake Marina

Donation Time
Thanks again for all of the responses. One of the reasons posting this was to see how much help might be out there should i decide to buy the bucket of rust! Similar to the triumph (motorcycle) forum I am a member of I'd rely on the expertise of you folks who have the knowledge and been there before for advice The responses and active "chatter" shows it a lively forum and resource!
The link to videos in UK is excellent and the blog sheds some real time reality!
To what extent this Alpine would be a parts car to the current owner is limited but he does have a '66 Tiger and he drove it over to my house one day back when I originally posted! It looks all original but has the typical wear and tear of a vehicle of that age that hasn't been seriously maintained. It is as when he bought it and keeps it under cover. He plans to have it restored some day and I assure you he knows what he's got and I guess some of that pride has bled onto the Alpine in $.
As far as the Alpine. I plan to see if I can go back over and per some excellent member advice see if i can get the engine to rotate and take a harder look at the frame. If that pans out I'll possibly make an offer not to exceed the capped forum consensus and see what transpires.