• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Postal jeep rear end

Floor guy

Donation Time
What years are best for getting a postal jeep rear end? What needs to be done to it to bolt into a SV Alpine?What gear ratio works best for the V6 conversion? I plan on doing a V6 conversion fairly soon and have talked to dan about getting his parts. But I may not stop there and am looking for as much information on upgrades as I can get.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Some had Dana 44’s with a locker. Ford 8” worked well. I have a Dana in one of my cars and a Ford 8.8 in the other. Both have lockers.

Floor guy

Donation Time
The post office used those jeeps for decades. What I am asking is what years are better for getting a rear for an Alpine than others. Also what modifications are needed to transplant one into an Alpine.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
40383.jpeg Sorry, I can't really tell you what year mine is, but it has 3.07 gears and a trac lok. Mine will be hooked up to a ford 302 however, not the 2.8.

As for mods required, mine will need the axle flanges redrilled for my 4 bolt wheels. I assume the spring perches will need to be relocated, and I think I am going to add disk brakes. I dont have my alpine with the original rear end close at hand, so I have not been able to start any of this work yet.

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
70-78 Postal and 72-75 CJ5 4x4 Dana 44 will work . Some had 3.07 some were 3.73. Some were Trac-Lok posi.

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The rear axle requirements for a V6 Alpine conversion are straightforward.

The rear axle must fit the car. Series Alpine (and Tiger) rear axles are about 50-3/4" flange-to-flange (not including a brake drum or rotor), the spring perch center-to-center dimension is about 37-3/4" and the pinion shaft is offset about 3/4" to the right. Series Alpines have a very narrow driveshaft tunnel and a pretty much centered pinion shaft is a necessity.

The wheel mounting lug pattern for the rear axle must match the lug pattern of the rear wheels and should match the lug pattern of the front wheels. The front wheel lug pattern for a Series Alpine is 4x4.25", so ...

The gear ratio needs to be suitable for a specific combination of engine, transmission, tire size and vehicle use. None of those factors have been identified, so ...

The rear axle should be capable of handling the power of the V6 engine and the vehicle use. ?????​

The forum search engine is not very helpful, but a Google search for site: sunbeamalpine.org flange-to-flange or site: sunbeamalpine.org v6 rear axle will show a lot of relevant posts.

Offered as information. Your car and your choices.

Last edited: