• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

POSSIBLE Alternative for Fuel Tanks/Balance Pipe?

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I am redoing my fuel system from tanks to carbs and as part of the process, cleaning and sealing my tanks and pipes.

I've read many of your posts, comments, and referred to Mike Hartman's and Todd Nordby's papers on the removal, cleaning/sealing, and re-installation process. It has all been very helpful and I am about one quarter of the way through the process.

The one common factor I have seen in most threads on the topic is what a pain the reinstallation of the tank and pipe is in regards to fitment and also preventing a gas odor.

I'm not asking for help with that...as I said, I've been doing my homework and read your tips and tricks and will employ them when I get to that point.

My QUESTION is this. Is there any reason that flexible fuel hose could not be used in place of the elbow pipes to run directly from the balance pipe to the tank? Basically, it would be the same type hose as the filler hose used from the tank to the gas cap.

There may be something obvious that I am missing and that's why I'm asking. An example of what I'm talking about is found at the link below.

I'm sure there is some reason not to use it or someone would have by now, based on what I would perceive to make for a much easier reinstallation...so, I'm asking you guys.

If nothing else, if I'm suggesting something that won't work maybe others will see this thread before they try it. Lol

Thanks

[I am not talking about this particular hose…just this TYPE of hose…as in flexible hose in place of the elbows. The reasons this particular hose will not work have been noted by members below.]
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dac-80304

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tod, First thought was "why not use it"....Went to the link and found this:
Works OK - Not Flexible
8/30/2019

Summit Racing Verified Purchase

DAC-80304
Works OK but is not very flexible. If a straight run or slight bend over a large radius is required this product will work well. I tried a 45 degree bend with an approx. radius of 6" and it kinked.
By: ALAN from NC

There were a few others that commented about the hose. two spoke on the bending to 45 and 90 degree elbows as not adequate

Two others only referrenced the service and "use of" flex hose, no mention of bends.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Tod, First thought was "why not use it"....Went to the link and found this:
Works OK - Not Flexible
8/30/2019

Summit Racing Verified Purchase

DAC-80304
Works OK but is not very flexible. If a straight run or slight bend over a large radius is required this product will work well. I tried a 45 degree bend with an approx. radius of 6" and it kinked.
By: ALAN from NC

There were a few others that commented about the hose. two spoke on the bending to 45 and 90 degree elbows as not adequate

Two others only referrenced the service and "use of" flex hose, no mention of bends.

I wasn't necessarily talking about this particular hose...I just did a quick search and used this one as an example.
I was just wondering in general if hose could be used. The elbows are a 'sweeping' bend, so I thought maybe a hose could make the turn without issue.
Maybe the property that makes them ethanol resistant, which is what we need now, is also what may make them not flexible enough...I don't know.

The right hose may not exist...just thinking. Lol

I've already got my new coupling hoses in from SS. I just spend a lot of time analyzing (maybe over analyzing) things when it comes to projects...the 'build a better mousetrap' syndrome I guess.

BTW...the carb blocking plate you sent me is installed and fit perfectly. I even painted your initials on it, so I would remember where it came from... Lol

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tod, this job can be a real pain. The last one I did, I used some really soapy water and used the joiner sold
by SS & CS. It went so easily. I start by putting the rubber joiners on the tank. ( leave the tank loose) then
I work the curved pipe into the tank. I do the same to the other side. I put the larger pipe in the valance
wit the rubber ends on that. I put the fuel inlet ( the threaded part) in the hole ( with a new grommet)
and then twist it all together. Just make sure everything has the same amount of pipe in the rubber coupler.
Once you're satisfied just tighten it up.

You could use that fuel hose in lieu of the SS couplers, that might be cheaper.

Hope that helps,
Cheers!
Steve

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Just leave it as designed & delivered from the factory. I have done many fuel tank jobs and the factory way is the best.
Jan

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Just leave it as designed & delivered from the factory. I have done many fuel tank jobs and the factory way is the best.
Jan

I am leaving it as factory. As I replied to Dan, I already have my new hose couplers in from SS.
I was thinking forward as in if I ever did another car or possibly to help someone on the forum who has not done their tanks yet but will and might could use an easier, yet still effective process.
I'm just the type that looks at a project and thinks, ''is there a better way...or even just a different way'' based on products that are available to us now that the engineers didn't have back then.

Maybe there isn't but thinking about things like that are a part of what makes working on the car enjoyable for me. Lol

There isn't always room for improvement...but sometimes there is.
Like my car...I was made in the 60s and I'm sure there are a lot of improvements that can be made on me. Lol

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Tod, this job can be a real pain. The last one I did, I used some really soapy water and used the joiner sold
by SS & CS. It went so easily. I start by putting the rubber joiners on the tank. ( leave the tank loose) then
I work the curved pipe into the tank. I do the same to the other side. I put the larger pipe in the valance
wit the rubber ends on that. I put the fuel inlet ( the threaded part) in the hole ( with a new grommet)
and then twist it all together. Just make sure everything has the same amount of pipe in the rubber coupler.
Once you're satisfied just tighten it up.

You could use that fuel hose in lieu of the SS couplers, that might be cheaper.

Hope that helps,
Cheers!
Steve

Hey Steve...I've already got my parts in from SS and CS (I try to spread the love LOL).
I'm doing it the original way.

For me...it's just the way I'm wired to think, "I wonder..." about everything I do. :)

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am redoing my fuel system from tanks to carbs and as part of the process, cleaning and sealing my tanks and pipes.

I've read many of your posts, comments, and referred to Mike Hartman's and Todd Nordby's papers on the removal, cleaning/sealing, and re-installation process. It has all been very helpful and I am about one quarter of the way through the process.

The one common factor I have seen in most threads on the topic is what a pain the reinstallation of the tank and pipe is in regards to fitment and also preventing a gas odor.

I'm not asking for help with that...as I said, I've been doing my homework and read your tips and tricks and will employ them when I get to that point.

My QUESTION is this. Is there any reason that flexible fuel hose could not be used in place of the elbow pipes to run directly from the balance pipe to the tank? Basically, it would be the same type hose as the filler hose used from the tank to the gas cap.

There may be something obvious that I am missing and that's why I'm asking. An example of what I'm talking about is found at the link below.

I'm sure there is some reason not to use it or someone would have by now, based on what I would perceive to make for a much easier reinstallation...so, I'm asking you guys.

If nothing else, if I'm suggesting something that won't work maybe others will see this thread before they try it. Lol

Thanks

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dac-80304

The Summit listing shows that the hose in question has a SAE Rating of J30R7 which is not suitable for fuels containing ethanol.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
The Summit listing shows that the hose in question has a SAE Rating of J30R7 which is not suitable for fuels containing ethanol.
Like I told Dan above…that hose was just a quick search sample for ‘flexible fuel hose’ for the post.
It wasn’t that particular hose I was asking about; just that type of hose, as in flexible.

On a related note, I’m surprised that Summit sells a hose specifically for a fuel system that isn’t rated to handle all of today’s fuel types.
Maybe it’s because they sell it as a filler hose for fuel to travel through but not to sit in…who knows.