• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

POSI rear on a Budget ?

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
is there a "Wallet Friendly" rear end "assembly" available to fit (or can be made to fit) a alpine/tiger ??? did the original tigers even HAVE a posi rear ?

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I cut down a Mazda RX7 rear axle out of a 1985 GSL SE I pick up for $100. It came with LSD and disc brakes. I have about $600 total into it, but I did all the work except cut the axles and re-spline them.
i-pNSCxnf-XL.jpg

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
There was/ is available LSD. Diffs available for the Tiger axle as I'm says,however all are 19 spline not desirable in my opinion.
The first Tiger I did I used a 307 gear and a TRU TRAC diff that is 30 spline cut the ends off the housing put 9" ends on had Moser make me two Axles the result a full floater for lots of money!!
I got a little smarter on the next Tiger and used an 8.8 axle from an explorer LSD discs the result was wallet friendly no more than the 600 bucks Toyanvil speaks of,you can buy explorer axles all day long for 200 bucks and if your clever all you need to do is respline,heavy yes who gives a s... With a V8

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
" all you need to do is respline" - HOW do they "Respline" the axles ??? and what is the cost for that ? seems with all the narrowing and different axles and spring pads, why wouldn't a 10 bolt GM rear from a camaro or something work? they are alot cheaper on parts. Just asking, because I am "Used to working on them. Thanks

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
c- clip eliminators- 1970-71 olds did not use c clips but still used reg 10 bolt posi units

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dutchman and Moser cut and respline. You have to shorten at least 4" on the Ford axle because of the taper behind the splines. You can shorten the left side of the 83-92 Ford Ranger axle to 25". 7.5 and 8.8 are the same 28 spline axle. 8.8 is found in 90-92 4.0 V6 trucks. Usually 3.45 in the 7.5 and 3.55 in the 8.8. Works good with the T5. I'd swap the gears to 3.07 for the automatic. If there is a L on the tag it is Trac-Lok. Or you can get the new Auburn Grip-n-Loc at a reasonable price. You can do the same with the Fox Mustang rear which already has the Sunbeam lug pattern. You have to cut and respline both sides. 24" on left and 25" on right You have to cut and grind the ears on the top of the axle.

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Good picture on why you have to shorten 4" on the Ford axle:

Attachments

• taper behind splines.jpg
    taper behind splines.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 37

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dana 44 from Postal Jeep or 72-75 CJ5, 30 spline one piece axles, needs axle flange diameter turned down, center of flange turned down, lug holes redrilled. Postal in 3.07 or 3.73, some with Trac-Lok. CJ5 usually 3.73 with Trac-Lok.

Last edited: