• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Poor Man's Rear Axle Hub Puller

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't take any credit for this, but I thought It's a GREAT repurpose of parts a lot of Alpiners have.

This came from Ramon Spontelli

Note, this was used on an Alpine hub removing job. I am very skeptical of how well it would work on a Tiger Hub!

The only major change would be to use a Big chunk (3/4" thick or more) of cold rolled steel instead of a hub...

DW

Designed, manufactured, and used today.

Works just like your fancy one.

Used it as-is for the first hub, and the corners of the lug nuts were hitting on the raised area of the hub, just a bit. Could have used washers there, or a smaller nut. But, since I knew right where the Dremel tool was, I just “relieved” that area a wee bit for the second hub.

AlpineHubPuller01.png o

AlpineHubPuller02.png

Of course you recognize the parts:

· One used Alpine rear axle hub

· Four used 2-1/2-inch wheel studs

· Four used Alpine/Tiger lug nuts

· Four new 1-1/4-inch 7/16 x 20 coupling nuts, purchased at Ace Hardware @ $4.69 each (OUCH!)

Piece o’ cake:

1. Jack up the car and remove the wheel.

2. Remove the brake drum.

3. Pull the cotter pin and back the axle/hub nut off ‘till it’s flush with the end of the axle

4. Screw the four coupling nuts half-way onto the four wheel studs.

5. Mount the hub onto the four coupling nuts.

6. Snug ‘em all up and apply torque to the lug nuts ‘til the hub pops.

7. Miller time!

Last edited:

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Square plate, Tapped in the center all thread or a puller rod spacers just like shown here, works for me.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Very clever use of old parts. Thank you for sharing this. Can a variation be made to pull a centre lock hub for wire wheels?
Tim R