• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Please, be careful!

cdk84

Donation Time
Hello again MSiege,

Just sent you a PM, but had not seen this thread about safety.

First, I hope you are Much better. A close Second, thank you so much for [metaphorically, mind you] sticking your neck out to share a story that some might find embarrassing, to assure the safety of others.

Third, it's great to receive a reminder about such things. While safe procedure might be part of our training or daily conduct, it's something No one should Ever take for granted.

I've been away from the garage, professionally, for many years. After just starting to work again, I almost launched into working under a car without a secondary support to back up the jack I used to lift the car. I had blocked the rear wheels and set the emergency brake, but held myself in check until I put a wheel ramp under the cross member as a backup support, covering it with shop rags to protect the new paint.

When I finally got under the car, I had strong confidence that, with some measure of certainty, I would come out again. And this work is no longer just about myself as it once was. I am newly remarried and my wife literally needs my support, so it would be incomprehensibly selfish of me not to think of her before starting any work that could put me in harm's way. So I do.

Thanks so much for your post. Stay safe and have fun while you're doing what you love.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
When my father in law closed up his business I grabbed six blocks of old growth wood he used to place machinery on as he built them. About 18" high and 12" wide. Have always hated being under a car, still do but don't worry near as much.
Glad you are okay, that has to scare the antifreeze out of you!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Don't know for sure why or what caused a VW Bug Of-Road to fall on my High School Buddy. His wife came home and found him "cold".

He had built and modified cars as a obby most of his life. Worked at the DFW Airport as an Engine mechanic. Sure he knew how to do the job right! Maybe just a bit careless and did not do that last "check" before getting under the VW. It crushed him so he could not breathe.

Think of him lots of time when I am jacking up "any" thing that is heaver than I :)

I always make sure the jack stands are set flat on the floor and when jacking up especially with a rolling jack the wheels are able to move forward and backwards freely. Then I will watch the "base" of the jack stands to make sure they do not rock or tip as I continue raising motion.

Hope ya'll do well and be safe!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Whenever I can, I like to put the car on two sets of ramps - one facing forward and one facing back. It isn’t always possible or practical, but I am a lot more comfortable that way.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
A few years ago I bought a '78 Mustang II from a gentleman that had run an Automotive shop for years. I met he and his wife and spent some time with them while I was arranging to purchase and load the Mutt II on my trailer. Discovered that they had just lost a son in a terrible fire at their Automotive Shop. He was working in a "Pit" doing some welding when some sparks caused a fire, then an explosion that killed him and destroyed a bunch of cars and the building. The young man left to boys not yet in their teens and a young wife.

All in an instant! My heart went out to the family for their loss. Think before you act.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
I have read this thread previously and thought one member showed some photos of wooden stands he made for each wheel so that when the csrt was up on the stands, these wooden support standw would be moved under each wheel. While it is obviously not part of this thread, I have searched in vain for a thread with this feature. Do any of you recsll such a description appearing on this forum?
Thanks,
Mike

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan for the prompt reply. At least I'm relieved to know that someone else recalls the information. Maybe someone else will recall just who had the clever idea.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have read this thread previously and thought one member showed some photos of wooden stands he made for each wheel so that when the csrt was up on the stands, these wooden support standw would be moved under each wheel. While it is obviously not part of this thread, I have searched in vain for a thread with this feature. Do any of you recsll such a description appearing on this forum?
Thanks,
Mike

Maybe that was me at a different place and time? I built two levels of wooden platforms for elevating my car to install the overdrive gearbox. See pages 8 through 12 for details on the platforms I built:
http://mhartman.net/files/sunbeam/OD gearbox installation.pdf

Mike

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I believe that stack of wooden blocks or similar was what was posted before.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Maybe that was me at a different place and time? I built two levels of wooden platforms for elevating my car to install the overdrive gearbox. See pages 8 through 12 for details on the platforms I built:
http://mhartman.net/files/sunbeam/OD gearbox installation.pdf

Mike
Thank you Mike for posting your PDF on installing the gearbox. Your wood stands are what I reall reading and seeing previously. I am going to make those stands for my SII as I don't trust my QuickJack stands 100%. I think with your stands as back-up the QuickJack stands are OK.
Thanks again,
Mike

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
FYI - I use the wooden stands as primary and use jack stands as backups. I think the wooden stands are more stable than jack stands.

Mike

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Mike,
That is what I meant, really. I think the wood stands are primary and my QuickJack is just an easy method of raising the car to the height you want. At my age, I didn't want to go to the trouble you did to jack your car up using a jack and jack stands.

Mike

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I wish to thank Mike for the PDF. I shall utilize it to make me some of those nice wooded stacks. I have several Alpines on very heavy jack stands most often for long periods of time.

His recent post reminded me and perhaps prodded me into action:)

MSiege

Silver Level Sponsor
Hey everyone,

Writing my thanks for the best wishes expressed to me. I lost track of this thread; catching up again now. Some crazy, sad and sobering stories out there, for sure. Latest X-rays show I'm healing; car has been to my local mechanic for some routine maintenance; and so, my Alpine life continues. Of course, that only means the list of things to do is still here.

Next big obstacle, a gearbox that purrs in 4th but screams in 1st through 3rd? Advice would on this would be welcome, thanks...