• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Planning to plan.

C

CThompson

OK, so it looks like I'm dragging a trailer round trip to Detroit in two weeks to bring back the new purchase.

I'll put this here and not the modified forum, since the bodywork is so large I won't be dropping the 2.8 in until much later.

I've snagged the photos off the ebay auction in case they disappear:

http://cthompson.com/sunbeam/

Based on email with the seller...

It needs floorpans and rockers on one side at least I never did anthing with motor mounts yet but it does come with a set of headers for a ranger i was going to cut and redo for my needs. My idea was going to be solid mounts. For the floor pans I was going to fabricate some, the person who owned the car last tried to fix the floor pan on the driver side but they were pop riveting things together. I was going to do a rebuild as a retro racer but i have well 4 other projects right now. I did go around the car and DA almost everything down to the last coat of paint and primed it. There were about 4 coats of paint on it.

Which pretty much matches the pictures.

My concerns are the driver's side, specifically the rocker. The interior shots look like he's braced that side with some square tube.

My goal for this is to get it up on a rotisserie, or something that I can flip that will not buckle it if it's weak through the door area.

That said, I dug in the old forums and found references to "Jan's Rig", and a link to:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2983220160042795559OmYOZm

But all the photos of it actually in use were broken links. Anyone got a picture of it actually on a car? And a better description of how it works?

mikephillips

Donation Time
After you get it home if you want a second opinion on what it needs feel free to ask me. I've had Sunbeams for over 30 years, some pretty good, some awfully rusty.

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
To brace my Alpine when I was using the Rotisseri I made some 1/8" flat plates, one bolted to the top hinge mount one bolted to the back of the door jamb where the corner piece of the soft top goes.
Between those two plates I welded 1" square tube with 1 piece going across between the two.
Make it pretty sturdy so you don't get any bending in the body.