• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pilot Bushing Soak

Beamin

Platinum Level Sponsor
So the engine is hanging from the hoist and I was finishing up the final few tasks before I could drop it in place when I pulled out the WSM and read that the pilot bushing needs to be soaked in oil for 24 hours. I was really hoping to get the motor installed today, if for no other reason than to not have to pay another $37 on the hoist rental.

My question is this: Is the 24 hour oil bath still necessary for bushings made from modern materials (the pilot bushing was recently purchased from SS), or have the bushings really not changed that much over the past 40 years?

Thanks,
Andy

Pumpkin

Donation Time
oil bath

Andy, I have always soaked my bushes for at least 12 hours, given that you "need" to install . Hmmn later to burn a dry one out? AT least if you install may be I may be wrong but heat up some oil in a pan,, stay out of the kitchen for this one, to about 150 degs f. let it set for about 2 hours to cool.

The oil will soak in considerably. Then If you have some of that real nasty red wheel grease, you know the kind you can't wipe off.:rolleyes: insert the bushing properly and fill it with the red nasty grease.
That should do ya.

My 2 p
Chuck with a tranny still out do to health and just lazyness
oh yes mine has been soaking for about a month

Beamin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I really hope that I can't justify the purchase of my own engine hoist. I'd like to think that pulling the engine in/out doesn't become that regular of an occurence. Besides, I'm running out of storage space in the garage....

Ended up paying for an extra half day on the hoist rental so that the bushing could soak. The engine bay on this car now actually has something in it for the first time in over ten years. Hopefully the remaining final steps go as easy the engine install did.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Although I use mine quite a bit, I can honestly say that if a guy were even to mess around with cars much at all, it's worth having around.
I figured oput that by the time I spend going and getting a rental, paying for it, returning it, and hoping that I had everything ready to put in, no outside variables or distractions causing to keep the rental overtime, not being able to start or stop the process at whichever moment I decide.
So anyhow, yes, I think it's worth it.
Also the nice thing about their "cranes" is that the legs fold up and the whole thing fits against a wall.
That being said I guess if I felt that the need for a hoist would be a 0ne-time-deal, a rental would work. Any more than that?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The come in handy for other things, too. I used mine to help remove an ancient window air conditioner in my house. The thing weighed a ton and would have taken several strong (or at least young) people to pick up. My wife and I were able to do it ourselves by using my HF engine lift.

oldflotsam

Donation Time
I used mine to pull photinias out of the flower beds. Pulls straight up with the legs straddling the bush, and 2 tons is a lot of pull. Also works for pulling fence posts. Pulling engines is just a perk.

Wayne