• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Picking the bones

jmthehermit

Donation Time
So my brother in law and I decide to go junk yarding today. A little trip up north, about 75 miles. Besides him getting a lot of old stainless trim, I just had to pick the bones of the only Sunbeam left in the yard. This is what remains of a Series 3 GT. The car is so rotted you couldn't read the VIN number on the original riveted tag. And also a pic of the last useful parts I could use. Jeff

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
WOW. That's not much to salvage out of an entire car. The brackets to hold the heater controls on to the wood dashboard are pretty rare, so those are good to have salvaged. I don't suppose the metal piece with the "D" shaped cutout for the ignition switch was laying around anywhere? :D

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Hi Jim, I first found the car in 2002 and have been slowly picking on it since. Its yielded the brake servo, window winding mechanisms, courtesy light, ignition switch w/locking plate:D and the whole set of lock tumblers. And thanks to Dennis (dmich2) for jogging my memory, I just had to retrieve the heater control brackets for a wood dash build for the Alpine. The only part I didn't get was a nice rear bumper that somebody else lucked out on:mad:. It's a wire wheeled car but is sunk down to the frame. The only other thing of interest might be the wire frame under the hood to hold the sound deadening material. Jeff

gordonra

Donation Time
SNIP:
The only other thing of interest might be the wire frame under the hood to hold the sound deadening material. Jeff

Hey, does anyone have a photo showing that frame?

Also, what was the insulation like, or what are people using now?