• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Photo Contest - Clean your baby up!

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Photo Contest – Clean your baby up!

Clean and polish your car, take three photo of her and send them to the SAOCA.
During the month of July we will be accepting photos of our members cars. 2 winners of the contest will have their car professionally printed in the clubs Diamond and Platinum membership posters.

Club officials will pick out 4 of the best photos. These 4 photos will be posted on the forum so that our members can vote on the top 2 photos.

What is needed to enter the contest:
1)Your full name.
2)Your forum name.
3)Your membership, gold, sliver, diamond etc.
4)The year and series of your car.
5)Most importantly the photos of your car (1280 x 1024 at 300 dpi), 3 photos max
6)You must be a member of the SAOCA

The information above must be provided to: Andrew Masse
Email address is: drafting at ramdesign dot on dot ca

If you are not sure about the file size, please provide the best image that your camera can provide.
If you do not have a digital camera a 35 mm photo can be provided and we will digitize it on our end.

If you need to mail a digital photo please PM “Andrewâ€

The extra photos provided to the club may be used in future club calendars. So, if you wish to have your car in print please enter the contest as we would love to have you along for the ride.

Regards,
Andrew

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Andrew,

This is great! Thank you for sponsoring the competition. I can't wait to see some of the entries. ;)

Steve

Andrew

Donation Time
Hi Steve,

Not a problem and I hope that our members take on this challenge. If we are able to get everyone involved we may be able to make a membership directory showing all of our cars!

Here are some samples of our past posters:
Platinum-DONER-2010-WEB.jpg
DIAMOND-DONE-2010-WEB.jpg
diamond-member2009-web.jpg
platinum-member2009-web.jpg

Andrew

Donation Time
Here are some of our past vintage styled race posters.
If you have a race Alpine in the garage please take some photos!

2010-POSTER-WEB.jpg
2009-Le-Mans-Doner-Poster-web.jpg

Andrew

Donation Time
photos

Hello gang!

I have started to receive a few photos and it is great to see people providing this photography.

Please take a minute after you wash and wax your car and snap a few shots!

I will start to make up a web page showing each contest entry received, this will enable everyone to see our great cars.

Regards,
Andrew

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Andrew, How 'bout some tips on how to best present our cars in a photo ? Easy stuff, view, angle, position of light source.

Thanks, Tom j

Andrew

Donation Time
Andrew, How 'bout some tips on how to best present our cars in a photo ? Easy stuff, view, angle, position of light source.
Thanks, Tom j

Hi Tom:

I think a car always looks best at a 30/60 deg angle from a front or rear corner, this provides two full sides of the car and it also provide a scale to the car/photo. I would say the 60" from grade is nice but it would be great to see some artistic flare. One can provide 2 or 3 shots of their car so please have some fun with it. A bird's eye view, a worms eye view or standard 60" from grade is always fun to try. Late afternoon or mid morning sun is nice, you don't want to many shade areas but you also don't want to have too much glare or sun spots or reflection a what an intense mid noon sun can provide. All of this will change with respect to the type of day it is, overcast or the setting that you pick to pose your car.
Just think a field of canola in bloom with a blue Alpine in the middle of the composition.

Have some fun with it guys, please remember I can always clean the images up a little.

Regards,
Andrew

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Sweeten the deal - Brochure and early Owners Manual

Recently, Elliot Barbour donated a Series I Owners manual in nice condition and an early Alpine brochure. Elliot owned one of the early SI's in the country and also knew Vince Tamburo who won the National Championship. Elliot ran his Alpine in SCCA Rallies and Autocross.

They arrived today.

I think the top car should win the SI owners Manual and the Runner up should win the Brochure.

So, start getting those photos in. And a very appreciative thank you to Elliot.

Steve:D

Andrew

Donation Time
Photo Contest - Prizes

1st prize:
Series I Owner's manual in nice condition for your collection.
Have your Alpine professionally put to print and receive a poster sized print of your baby (see our past samples shown in this thread).

2nd prize:
Receive an early Alpine brochure.

3rd prize:
Every member who enters will have a chance to see their car printed in the 2011 SAOCA calendar.

Thank you Elliot Barbour who donated the product.

Enter the contest today, we have only received 4 sets of photos (4 contestants) and there is only 3 weeks to go.

Regards,
Andrew

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
We all know there's a lot of great looking Sunbeams that take part in club activities, lets get Andrew some pictures of 'em so you can show them off to folks that may have never seen yours.
Photo tips are earlier in this thread. Join in, show her off, have your baby featured on a poster !

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Tom j

britbeam

Donation Time
Andrew on the size . Is this the minimum size ,maximum, or does it need to be exactly that size.
Dwain

Andrew

Donation Time
size of image.

Hi Dwain,

It is great to hear from you. For the contest I would love to see as large file as possible, I will need a good quality photo in order to make the custom poster. I think my service provider will allow up to a 3 meg file so please try and keep it around that size.

I would think 1024 x 768 at 300 dpi would work, but fire off as big as you wish and we will see if it is received.

Andrew

alpine_64

Donation Time
Regarding file size.. and hate to be pedantic, but 300dpi is a printing format, all anyone needs to do is ensure that the file is 1280 x 1024 pixels (which is quite low res)

DPI is completely different and will just confuse people.

Andrew

Donation Time
Regarding file size.. and hate to be pedantic, but 300dpi is a printing format, all anyone needs to do is ensure that the file is 1280 x 1024 pixels (which is quite low res) DPI is completely different and will just confuse people.

Hi guys,

300 dpi would be great as I will be using the image for printing a large poster. I can ask the winner of the contest to provide another high res file for the poster after they have been informed of the win. So yes, 300 dpi is for printing and this is what I will need for the club poster. There is a great difference from an image that is 1024 x 768 at 300dpi from one that is 1024 x 768 at 72 dpi.

I would just ask everyone to provide as large a file as they can from your camera.

I can receive up to a 3 meg file via my service provided.
Just provide to me what you can.

Forward the contest information and your photos to me at:
drafting at ramdesign dot on dot ca

You can also find my personal email address at:
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?categoryid=15

alpine_64

Donation Time
So yes, 300 dpi is for printing and this is what I will need for the club poster. There is a great difference from an image that is 1024 x 768 at 300dpi from one that is 1024 x 768 at 72 dpi.

Andrew you are talking about two different things. Pixels are the physical size and quality of the file, the PDI (dots per inch) is the printing resolution. Increasing DPI does not increase image quality, its the pixels that give the quality. The same pixels with a higher or lower print res simply changes the physical size at which you print.

1024 x 768 at 300dpi is a print that is 8.67cm x 6.5cm
1024 x 768 at 72dpi is a print that is 36.12cm x 27.09cm

the quality of the image has not changed just the size you printed it at.

If you want to print higher qaulity at a larger physical size you need a large digital file.. more pixels.

Andrew

Donation Time
Andrew you are talking about two different things. Pixels are the physical size and quality of the file, the PDI (dots per inch) is the printing resolution. Increasing DPI does not increase image quality, its the pixels that give the quality. The same pixels with a higher or lower print res simply changes the physical size at which you print.
1024 x 768 at 300dpi is a print that is 8.67cm x 6.5cm
1024 x 768 at 72dpi is a print that is 36.12cm x 27.09cm
the quality of the image has not changed just the size you printed it at.
If you want to print higher qaulity at a larger physical size you need a large digital file.. more pixels.

Yes I understand this but most people do not. I can also take an image that is 1024 x 768 at 300 dpi and change the res to (4x) 4096 x 3072 at 72 dpi and still have the same quality of an image as the 1024 x 768 at 72 dpi.

Is this not correct or has my 3D studio, quark express, coreldraw, photoshop, architectural design and imaging training and studio production all gone to waist during the last 20 years! :eek:

Next we will be talking about CMYX vs RGB.

I would rather not get into this as it is time that could be better spent doing work for the club. I also do not want to get everyone confused, yet this is what we have done.

Lets put this to rest guys. Just give me the largest - highest quality image that your camera can produce. I think most cameras store their images at 72dpi and this is fine. Just give me the highest res file that your camera will produce and I will resample things at this end.

The End.

alpine_64

Donation Time
To ensure nothing i have said confuses anyone..

send Andrew the largest original size (as in resolution) file of the picture you have.

Andrew.. digi cams only work in pixels they save in formats of pixels x pixels.. in higher and lower qualities, i cant see how they would save out as a DPI size unless they were saving as .PNG as the native format.... and yes increasing pixels of a base file later is redundant.. you want the largest pixel size of the orignial...

I personally think mixing image resolution and printing resolution is what confuses people... and no need to go into RGB vs CMYK ... but some of us also have lots of experience with printing and digital presentations.. i am always surprised when graphics people ask for images from me @ a DPI size without specifiying a physical size.. they should be asking for image resolution.