• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Persistent oil leak

RootesRooter

Donation Time
My SV has had an oil leak as long as I can remember, dripping from the hole on the bottom of the bellhousing. I don't think its the tranny front seal, as I should have run noticeably low on oil a long time ago. I have an aluminum pan. Over the years I've replaced the gaskets around the rear pan seal twice, re-did the sealant under the rear main cap, and replaced the cam plug. Most recently I switched to a Wix oil filter, which may have slightly slowed down the drip.

There must be something obvious I'm overlooking. I've had one Sunbeam friend claim that the aluminum pan is porous enough that oil can seep thru it, but I've never come across anyone else with that problem.

???

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Let's try to get structured here. Assuming you made the test that the seeping oil is not from the gearbox (smell) actually there can be only 4 or 5 root causes where oil can escape on the rear of the block:

- The rear cap or crankshaft - > think you checked/did those
- The rear part of the oil pan - > Ditto
- The cam plug - > You renewed, but can be tricky to get them oil tight. Good sealing compound plus a slap with a hammer on the bulged center, othwise they never sit properly
- The main oil gallery oil plug-> t. b. c.
- The rear portion of valve cover - > oil can seep down at the rear of the engine. Usually there are traces of oil on the upper rear block part

Good luck for checking again...

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had a Pinto at one time that appeared to be leaking from the bell housing as you suggested. It was actually leaking from the rear of the valve cover after I had replaced the gasket. I accidentally tore the back edge of the gasket during the install.