• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Parts manual hosting?

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Todd Smith brought up a good idea, having the factory parts list for all Series available on this site. When discussing certain parts, for sale/needed/issues etc. people could reference the diagrams and numbers.

I think somebody previously posted a pdf of I-IV parts, but the file is not on this site, only a link somewhere; it's a bit incomplete as well. If we have room, I would be willing to start scanning my I-V and Tiger manual. It might take me awhile to get it all done but I can do it, unless somebody has better facilities. I think to be as useful as possible it really needs to be organized well and certainly searchable. It would be a fairly big file, the current incomplete I-IV pdf I have is 116 MB.

Alternatively, how about putting it on some free document hosting site with a link here? I am not that familiar with all of the implications there but it may be an option.

Does anyone know if there are any copyright issues and such? I know at least one of our parts suppliers sell these manuals, and I see them on eBay know and then.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think hosting the parts books, as well as the two factory manuals, would be one of the most useful things this site could do. I can't imagine that at this point there are any copyright issues... surely Peugeot is long past caring.

However, I've yet to see a digitized SV parts manual. Who has one?

bashby

Donation Time
I have a hard copy of the parts manual (3-ring binder) and can pdf it (hopefully the auto feeded will work). I would do this in sections. The for WSM's (I only have a I-IV as the V has been BO'd for years) I would have to un-bind the WSM. Concerned as SS and CS went to the expense of offering the manuals and want to continue to support them.

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Having them on the site would be a great help and we should not worry about others trying to sell them. We sell parts etc. back and forth to each other all day long without worrying if we are hurting our two best suppliers. We will always support them and continue to order from them. We need this on the site as an easy reference to help each other communicate and simply see what parts go where. I also have a hard copy but it stays in the garage for help while I am actually working on the car. Todd, if you can start the scanning with the blessings of the board I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

bashby

Donation Time
Todd, I am willing to scan some as well, as I stated previously my Parts Manual is in a 3-ring binder and I can auto-feed double-sided pages a section at a time. The SI-SIV WSM would take a little more work.
Bill

bashby

Donation Time
Todd, I will scan a Section of the Parts Manual Friday and let you know how many pages equals a .pdf size.
-Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Bill,

Stand by until I get back to phoenix on Sunday. I may already have it in PDF. A few years ago a guy in England was selling parts Manuals on a disc and I made copies to give to the Arizona Sunbeam club as a thank you for coming up for the track day. I still have the disc and think the pdf is e-mailable...

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I agree with Nick. Bill, you can probably hold off the scanning for now. I am still trying to get the officers to discuss it. (Being an "official" SAOCA volunteer I got in the club, not that I really do anything... Note, this is not a clandestine conversation, I will definitely share the officers thoughts and take into account everybody's feedback). My feeling is people think it is a good idea, I would like to sort out how we are going to do it to make it the most useful.

Additionally, I have a pdf of the S1-SIV incomplete parts manual that was previously posted, it has probably 2/3rds of the manual, cuts off after the steering section. It is 197 pages and 116 MB. Unfortunately it is just images, you can't search for text.

I think it is essential that ours be text and images and that it is searchable. I do not know if making a text searchable pdf would make it bigger or actually may make it smaller?

Any other opinions on making this useful? Searchable, organized in sections, etc. There may be limitations logistic and cost wise, but maybe we can discuss what the ultimate would be and go from there? Does anyone know of examples from other sites for comparison or ideas?

Other discussion topics: Maybe the club wants to make it read only, no downloading or printing? Do we have it accessible to donating members only in order to encourage donations?

bashby

Donation Time
I can probably make it searchable with text and images should not be difficult. Let me know!

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Todd,
I think the 'donation filter' would be fine, as it's a value-add over the standard site. And donation levels are very affordable.

I think the read-only philosophy is not worth spending time or money on, though... if you can see it on your screen, you can save it and print it. Maybe not with the standard Adobe software, but it can be done easily and cheaply. Plus, allowing local offloading reduces the hosting costs for all. Will a paying member shift it off to some other site for free? Could be. But how many other sites would people go to look for it, anyway? Maybe SAOC... but I'd say if we do it, we should link with them anyway. Possibly the same with stateside clubs... although that's not my call.

Copyright? Hmmm... not a lawyer.

Ken

gordonra

Donation Time
We already have PDF files of the parts manuals, so there should be no need to scan them.

The files are very large, but select page, (or pages) could be singled out to seperate files.

Rich

gordonra

Donation Time
Someone offered them up a year or two ago... I received them on a CD and hosted an FTP server on a PC for others to download, but it was a temporary setup.

I still have the files... two pdfs, one 120mb, the other 107mb, They are far to big to email.

Maybe I could put them on one of the large file transfer sites....

Rich

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Google "Sites" may be an option. Seems to have access control, editorial permissions, and could host the parts substitution wiki we should have...
Looks like all that would be required on our site would be the appropriate links.
Management could clone the username/password info to that new site for access control.

Splitting things would allow that function to be built by others, without adding too much to the workload of this site's operators... while still controlling who can control things here.

I'm guessing Google would have some good PDF search tools available.

You'll note I don't do this for a living, so it's likely more complicated than my limited view...

Ken

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Ok guys,

We just need to see what space it will take up and how we should post it etc.
I think PDF would be the best and I can always look as space after the docs are received. I have access to a FTP site or if they are no bigger than 10 meg I can still receive them through my company email address.

While you guys do the PDF work, I will have a chat with the club officials.

It would be nice to provide after market information such as, oil filters, type of gearbox oil to use, diff oil etc. It would be nice to have a place to look up these things rather than doing a search through the layers of forum posts.

We will do what we can but please remember without the small support donations that we receive the site would not be up and running. The more space that is used the more cost there is per year.

Regards,
Andrew

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
OK, I'm home. Checked the pdf file I have and the Alpine book is reprinter January 1966/5th Issue, and is 477 pages. Also have one for a 260 Tiger. I'll forward it to one of the Board members to review and make sure we're okiedoke.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
I will contact both Rich and Nick in the morning via a PM with FTP site information and passwords.

Thanks for the work guys.

Andrew

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Andrew,

I tried to e-mail them to you but the files were too big. Can I burn a disc and snail mail them to you for review?