• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Panel Adhesive?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The only rust on my SIV is in the battery box. There are two holes where the top of the battery probably sat. I imagine both correspond to where the original terminals were. It’s been sandblasted, so the rust is gone, but so is some of the sheet metal. I’ve cut a piece of 16 gauge sheet metal to fit in the box; I’d like to just attach it over the original. I’m thinking about using panel adhesive to do this, since the box isn’t perfectly straight. I figure adhesive would also fill some of the gaps.

I’ve never used this before; only seen it used on a restoration job on Speed Channel. Is this a reasonable way to go? Any advice or recommendations from someone who’s used it before?

Thanks,

Jim

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Jim,

We use the stuff at work on occassion - but not on automotive projects.
It seems very strong and of course waterproof.

I used it myself to reattach the mounting studs found on the backside of the ventilation/heater bezel. Which is an odd application but seems to work.

I would take this approach - try it - but approach it so that you could cut out the repair and weld in new stuff if needed.

Steve

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Steve. For the record, and at the risk of one day being referred to as "the DPO", I've also thought about just attaching it with Liquid Nails. That way, if anyone wanted to remove it, a heat gun would do the trick.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Thanks Steve. For the record, and at the risk of one day being referred to as "the DPO", I've also thought about just attaching it with Liquid Nails. That way, if anyone wanted to remove it, a heat gun would do the trick.

Funny you brought up the Liquid Nails Jim, as I read the post that was going to be my suggestion.
It's cheaper, more readily available, and easier to change or remove later.