• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

panel adhesive

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am planning on doing some rust repair soon, rockers and lower fender bottoms. For rockers and inner panels it makes sense to weld, due to strength, unibody, etc. Is there a strong reason not to use panel adhesive to attach the fender bottom to the original fender? Using a flange overlap. That would eliminate the issues with welding, including heat distortion, burn off of paint behind the panel, etc. Apparently many shops with more modern cars for repair are using the panel adhesive, at least for part of the repair/replacement.
Any experience? Thanks, David

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Last year I saw this done on a 67 Corvair. The rear quarter panel was glued on with the 3M product. They used an overlap on it and it's pretty darn strong. I was just kind of blown away with it. You're right, no warping, no heat distortion. Yes, it was a vertical cut right down the quarter and also on the top of the quarter. Pretty cool. Not sure how they held it in place while drying.

Actually, just called back to Iowa, and the body guy emphasized that you use the Construction Strength material, and not just the panel adhesive. He told me they just screwed it together while it dried then filled the holes with the body filler. That's about all my knowledge. It does work.
Jim

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Last year I saw this done on a 67 Corvair. The rear quarter panel was glued on with the 3M product. They used an overlap on it and it's pretty darn strong. I was just kind of blown away with it. You're right, no warping, no heat distortion. Yes, it was a vertical cut right down the quarter and also on the top of the quarter. Pretty cool. Not sure how they held it in place while drying.

Actually, just called back to Iowa, and the body guy emphasized that you use the Construction Strength material, and not just the panel adhesive. He told me they just screwed it together while it dried then filled the holes with the body filler. That's about all my knowledge. It does work.
Jim

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, it seems a logical solution but had never known of it being done. I talked with a body shop guy, and he said it is great for things like door skins. He said the newer Corvettes use a super strong adhesive in the front end, but I don't know any details of that. David