• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pair new bullet side mirrors $90 .. SOLD

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
New in box, pair of classic GT bullet exterior mirrors, $90.

Attachments

• 20230305_002250464_iOS.jpg
    20230305_002250464_iOS.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 20230305_002349874_iOS.jpg
    20230305_002349874_iOS.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 20230305_002431228_iOS.jpg
    20230305_002431228_iOS.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • 20230305_002556414_iOS.jpg
    20230305_002556414_iOS.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30

alpine_64

Donation Time
Sad but true.
Depends where you mount them.. if further down the guards. Better.... If they are the larger mirror and the slightly taller stem also slightly better.. but overall you have the slouch down so see out of them if you are a decent hieght

The other option is to not mount them parallel to the window...but at an angle... This solves a lot of the issue .... But looks like you installed them drunk... My father did this on his IVGT... I hate looking at that every time... Effective...and ugly .

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Since there is no top to obscure my view to the rear, I will just turn my head and look I guess.

Not trying to discourage anyone from buying or installing these. As I said, they look great.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wow , I thought I was a negative Nancy. If you get a stick on spot mirror they become more useful. Plus the majority of us already have drilled holes. I had a car with 3 different hole locations on the driver's door and wing then had wing mounted ones.
So much for measure twice drill once...

alpine_64

Donation Time
Since there is no top to obscure my view to the rear, I will just turn my head and look I guess.

Not trying to discourage anyone from buying or installing these. As I said, they look great.
Roof down side mirrors aren't really needed as you have a large view from the rear view mirror and can hear cars coming up beside you and head check before lane changes.... But... On a series I/II alpine soft top you sure need them... All series with hardtop ok not to bad.. s3-V tops.... Not great rear 3/4 view

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have this style mirror on my SV, purchased many years ago from SS. I was unhappy with the view and found a round convex spot mirror that was the same size as the original (I believe SS sold the mirrors with both flat and convex glass; they still might) and stuck it right over the mirror. I was concerned about water intrusion around the edge and caulked it with clear silicone. That was at least 15 years ago and it has worked fine ever since.

BTW: speaking of drilling holes, I drilled new holes to accommodate the wider base on the mirror and then realized that the wider base was removable and you could mount it with just the smaller one from the inside. That would have been perfect but it was too late when I realized it.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
A side mirror is required in California and very likely most states. I have a sweet real Talbot Berlin that's in the parts pile...

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
On my current project I mounted a Talbot with mirror glass close to wing window and about parallel to front edge of door glass which in garage seems to have correct angle with adjustment capability. FYI, I also am using a convex lens that probably is a help - on a prev. car it came with a round double stick convex spot style mirror that fit the bullet mirror glass perfectly (you could not tell it was a stick on). On another car I am using a small clamp on mirror clamped to windshield gutter about 3/4 up (rubber on clamp) that works great while driving (only downside it is you have to be careful putting on the car cover). I definately suggest you put down down the easy removal purple masking tape to protect your paint and have someone hold the mirror for you while you sit in the driver seat and ponder your options and visibality results - measure two or three time at least before you start drilling holes, especialy if you have a nice paint on your car. I have sit in a few Sunbeams where side bullet mirros were not correctly install to best visability. Attached is where I mounted a Talbot mirror and mod to underside mounting bracket. FYI, I have an extra Talbot mirror somewhere.

Attachments

• 20220724_184540404_iOS.jpg
    20220724_184540404_iOS.jpg
    1,010.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220724_184550663_iOS.jpg
    20220724_184550663_iOS.jpg
    886.8 KB · Views: 12

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I have those same mirrors on my car and they work good, that said I do have a 3.5" bug spot mirror on the passenger side.
i-4vWsQ9B-X2.jpg

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
This is in the form sale pile.
Well wrapped up on a shelf

Attachments

• PXL_20230325_183734931.jpg
    PXL_20230325_183734931.jpg
    995.2 KB · Views: 18

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes and no - I have two but one is the early style (all chrome), and the other is a green dot from 70's I think

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I have this style mirror on my SV, purchased many years ago from SS. I was unhappy with the view and found a round convex spot mirror that was the same size as the original (I believe SS sold the mirrors with both flat and convex glass; they still might) and stuck it right over the mirror. I was concerned about water intrusion around the edge and caulked it with clear silicone. That was at least 15 years ago and it has worked fine ever since.

BTW: speaking of drilling holes, I drilled new holes to accommodate the wider base on the mirror and then realized that the wider base was removable and you could mount it with just the smaller one from the inside. That would have been perfect but it was too late when I realized it.

I thought I was the only one with this idea lol.

I use iirc the 7" convex mirrors from Autozone and I can see everything on both sides and that's with the bullets mounted less than halfway up in relation to the wing windows. Changes everything when you swap them on. I modified the bullet so it would fit inside and been running them that way ever since.