• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Overdrive switch

molly2010

Silver Level Sponsor
Just purchase this switch is this correct for overdrive and light Indicated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200512-200559_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200512-200559_eBay.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 45

RootesRacer

Donation Time
It depends on what vehicle you have and what specific OD switch you have there. There are two types of switches which go to specific series cars.

alpine_64

Donation Time
That is not an alpine switch.. Wrong tip for early car (or late) and if an early car is not a momentary switch and there is no light.

If late series (3 onwards) it is a momentary switch and the light would be opal colour.. Faceted and round for series 3

For series IV-V oval eyelid style and opal colour

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I agree with Michael, your seller misrepresented this when he claimed it was an Alpine switch. On the other hand, if the dash lamp is an opal flipper-type (not faded pink stationary) and you have a Series IV or V I believe the lamp was worth the $10 plus $4 shipping you paid.

Mark .…. volvoguys

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a Series V with factory OD and I have no such lamp for my OD, nor a hole for one. We’re all Series V cars supplied with this lamp?

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a Series V with factory OD and I have no such lamp for my OD, nor a hole for one. We’re all Series V cars supplied with this lamp?
No. To the best of my knowledge, OD indicator lamps were discontinued with the SIV. But its easy enough to mount a lamp onto the V dash (similar to SIV placement) and add to the wiring loom. Now, it you want to be really cool, you can use a switch with a resistor similar to the Series III where the OD dash lamp dims down when the headlamps are turn on.

Mark .…. v

65beam

Donation Time
This is the general discussion section so I will say that there are many switches that can be used to operate the OD depending on whether you want totally stock or simplified. I have several OD wiring diagrams done by Tiger Tom years ago that show how to wire the system using various types of switches. Keep in mind that the original switches were rare 30 years ago and the supply is no better today. Why can't he use that switch?

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bob,

The PO asked whether the switch and lamp he bought were "correct for overdrive". Seeing he owns a Series II and the eBay seller's description stated it was for Alpine its reasonable to believe he wanted it for his car. In my part of the automotive hobby world, 'correct' is synonymous with 'as original' . So, I stand by my agreement with Michael who said "is not an Alpine part" ….. and it is not correct.

That said, one can argue that the switch could be mounted onto his SII provided he is willing to likely modify the switch electronics …… and his column cover. But the switch would still not be correct.

Mark

65beam

Donation Time
Bob,

The PO asked whether the switch and lamp he bought were "correct for overdrive". Seeing he owns a Series II and the eBay seller's description stated it was for Alpine its reasonable to believe he wanted it for his car. In my part of the automotive hobby world, 'correct' is synonymous with 'as original' . So, I stand by my agreement with Michael who said "is not an Alpine part" ….. and it is not correct.

That said, one can argue that the switch could be mounted onto his SII provided he is willing to likely modify the switch electronics …… and his column cover. But the switch would still not be correct.

Mark
It's been 50+ years since the last series Alpine rolled off the assembly line. For that reason there isn't an abundance of original parts out there and there are a lot of sellers that may have parted out an Alpine and due to that the thought is that it was an Alpine part. You can't fault the seller for that. I think I made this owner aware that even though some are telling him it's not a correct piece that would be as original it still can be used. This owner spent his money for something that can be used but rather than telling him what to do there were negative comments being made that even the light was the wrong shape and color. Help the guy instead of making him feel like he just threw his money out the window. I can't tell for sure from the photo but the switch looks to be the same that I have in the LeMans. I made no mods to the column cover. The various wiring diagrams were given to me by Tiger Tom so I'm sure his wiring diagrams work. As a guy named Doug, another guru of the Sunbeam world has always said "some modification required". Both have been building and repairing Beams all their lives.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
Just an FYI, the owner has asked the same questions on the U.K Face book page and he's been told the switch is a Reliant Scimitar piece but will work on his Alpine.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Molly2010, I am guessing that your car does not have an overdrive already installed. Or at least the car did not have an OD originally. You need to understand, that there were two different wiring set ups used in Alpine OD's. If the wiring set up you are using or planning to use is for or from a Series I or II, I think think the switch you have can be used. But if the wiring is for or from a Series 3, IV or V, it will not work. The switch for the later Series wiring arrangement requires a three position switch with momentary contacts and a center OFF position.

Tom

molly2010

Silver Level Sponsor
Molly2010, I am guessing that your car does not have an overdrive already installed. Or at least the car did not have an OD originally. You need to understand, that there were two different wiring set ups used in Alpine OD's. If the wiring set up you are using or planning to use is for or from a Series I or II, I think think the switch you have can be used. But if the wiring is for or from a Series 3, IV or V, it will not work. The switch for the later Series wiring arrangement requires a three position switch with momentary contacts and a center OFF position.

Tom
Thank you for the reply