• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Overdrive Column Switch

Ashfried

Donation Time
I am looking for the Lucas Column Switch for the Overdrive unit. It is part# 1206497 s/d by 1235202. Basically it is the lever attached to a 3 terminal switch that comes off the right side of the steering column. I have pics of it, but am unable to insert.

This is for a 1966 SV Alpine left hand drive.

I have dropped an email to OD Spares in the UK, but if I could get one closer, and faster I would be very happy.

Ash

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
OD switch

I don't think I have ever seen a Sunbeam OD switch[ column mount ] but I have experience w/ the Volvo 3 terminal switch. My guess is that if there is any difference it is probably in the way they are mounted in the surround. They are also much more easily found than Sunbeam as there was alot of OD Volvos coming into the states over the years.
I am sure there are folks on the forum who may be aware of the differences, if any.
If you decide to check it out look for the 1800 series switches.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
It's been ages - like 20 years. But I got a different version from Holden or UK Spares. It was not for an Alpine. But it was identical except for the bend. I pulled off the thin knob and then slid off the plastic tube that covered the metal rod, heated it, rebent it. It has been perfect ever since. It is the self centering one - for the SV version.

I want to say it was for a French car, possibly. If someone wants me to, I can try to dig through my old papers. Again, same length. Same knob. Same wiring. Only the bend was different - like for a car with a steeper angled steering wheel.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would be 99% sure that this switch is the same as the one on an SV Alpine, especially since it is for another Rootes vehicle of the same vintage. You might have to re-bend the stalk, and you'll need to fabricate the oval mounting plate to fit Alpine.

Tom

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here's a photo of the OD switch I received from Jeff Howarth with my OD kit. It looks a bit different than the switch on EBay.

Mike

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 40

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
The switch in the eBay auction is specific to Humber Sceptre and, functionally, will work with the late Alpine. However, the handle is longer and as mentioned earlier, the angle is different. More importantly, the mounting method is different as the Alpine has a switch body with a single notch that runs the length of the smaller diameter threads. The notch matches tabs in the openings of a pair of 'clamping plates' to keep the switch from rotating thru use and is secured with a chrome bezel similar to those for the dash switches. Once mounted onto the two plates the switch is sandwiched between the lower/upper halves of the column cover.

The Sceptre switch body threads are larger diameter than the Alpine with a flat spot running the length of the threads (similar to the ignition switch). The switch inserts into a metal bracket with a mating flat spot to keep the switch from rotating during use with a large hex nut similar to those used on radios of the period. Once mounted on the bracket it is bolted onto the steering column and the mounting bracket is shown in the auction pics. So, this Sceptre switch could be used with late Alpine but it's gonna take fabrication. BTW, there were several variations of this type switch used in the Humber Sceptre and Sunbeam Rapier.

There were far, far more overdrive Sceptres & Rapiers than Alpines.

Mark ..... volvoguys

Ashfried

Donation Time
I got the Switch I needed!!!!!

Thank you Volvoguys the switch arrived and when I removed the pivot pin holding the arm to the switch I found that it was broken in 3 pieces. I replaced it with new metal and it works better than it ever did. It clicks up and down like I always thought it should. I robbed the best pars from your switch and my original and all is great with the world. I will install it this week and be back on the road.