• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Originality alternator mount

Acollin

Donation Time
Not sure if any reading the originality thread have seen my posting in the “stock” thread, but I am pulling out all the stops to solve a problem I am having with a bad job I did in replacing a water pump on my 66 series V Sunbeam Alpine.
My questions to the originality folks are:
1) Are you aware of series V Alpine that uses the original bolt that connects the alternator adjustment bracket to the water pump and does NOT have a spacer on that bolt?
2) is the spacer a critical component to making a secure fit of the water pump to the engine block?

want more detail, please review my posting on the stock thread.
Thanks and sorry if I am “over posting”— just trying to get it right
Be well
Andrew

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've seen two series V alternator spacer setups. Most of the ones I have seen have the spacer at the water pump end of the bracket. The second type is the spacer is on the alternator end of the bracket. For the latter arrangement, I expect the 4th bolt on the water pump should have been the same shorter length as the other 3 bolts.

What is your concern with keeping the spacer on the water pump end of the bracket?

Mike

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The alternator adjustment bracket/strap has a "jog-bend" in the center of about 1/4"....If it's straight it will need a spacer.
Jan

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've seen generator brackets with a bend, but haven't seen that with the alternator brackets. I mean the alternator brackets can get bent, but I believe they are supposed to be straight.

Generator bracket:
upload_2022-4-1_13-30-1.png

Alternator bracket:
upload_2022-4-1_13-31-31.png

Mike