• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Original Factory Wheel Color?

Ktapply

Donation Time
I am restoring a Series 2 Alpine in Wedgwood Blue. What were the options for original factory wheel colors?

Thanks,

Kevin

RootesRich

Donation Time
I am restoring a Series 2 Alpine in Wedgwood Blue. What were the options for original factory wheel colors?

Thanks,

Kevin

Just a note that the stock wheels on Kevin's SII are wires. Sounds like he may be leaning towards converting to steel wheels though...

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
kevin,

the rootes steel wheels came in a seafoam grey.. which is actually an odd colour. in some lights it is a whitish colour.. in other light a creamy white. jan has the colour discs for it. the steel wheels were black on the back.

65beam

Donation Time
color

you'll find that the back of the wheels was a black primer. we use epoxy primer. an original wheel will also have white overspray on the back side. tiger auto used an off white when he restored one set of our wheels a few years back. the wheels I have at the dipper will get painted using ford wimbledon white.

65beam

Donation Time
color

during the restoration of the wife's series 5 back in 1995 the wheels were painted after using an original wheel to match the paint color. the wheel that was used had been in the attic of tiger auto for many years and was the original color. when I had to buy a new wheel from the dealer after a crash in 1970 we found it came in unpainted. it was black primer. i wonder if replacement wheels were sold painted in the rootes days?