• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

One wire alternator?

Lons 62

Bronze Level Sponsor
My generator has finally given up the ghost and I will now convert to an alternator. I have seen posts about the 3-wire Hitachi 14231 but I can't seem to find a post about a recommendation for a particular 1-wire alternator. Anyone? ('62 SII)

Last edited:

hdar5702

Platinum Level Sponsor
I converted a'64 Elan to an alternator ~8 years ago for a friend.He shipped me a kit(Denso alternator,belt and brackets).It was an easy installation but then I had to convert the car to Negative ground.That involved,besides some changes in the wiring, sending the tach and clock out to be converted to neg. ground(also he had the pertronix ignition so that was also replaced).All went well...but it is a lot of work if you have to do the + to - conversion. Anyway,I would replace the generator for an alternator in my car for the more reliable and stable voltage it provides.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
The three wire Hitachi can be wired as a one wire. The only other wire you really need when you wire it up
is the ignition light on the dash. It can be wired so it works like it should when stock.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
The ignition light wire is a must. It must go to the light on the dash. The other side does NOT go to ground. It goes to keyed 12V.

67brg

Silver Level Sponsor
My generator has finally given up the ghost and I will now convert to an alternator. I have seen posts about the 3-wire Hitachi 14231 but I can't seem to find a post about a recommendation for a particular 1-wire alternator. Anyone? ('62 SII)
A 35 amp single wire gm alternator with a regulator installed in it is very inexpensive, mounts to the original bracket on the block with a few spacers, a universal adjusting strap, looks original, can be repaired anywhere, easy to install. i don't understand why some people go through a lot of trouble for nothing!

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
As Sunalp mentions, the Hitachi can be wired as a one wire, except you need to add the wire to the ignition lamp. It's quite simple wiring.

Tom

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
A 35 amp single wire gm alternator with a regulator installed in it is very inexpensive, mounts to the original bracket on the block with a few spacers, a universal adjusting strap, looks original, can be repaired anywhere, easy to install. i don't understand why some people go through a lot of trouble for nothing!
I agree the GM - Delco -10si or 12si are readily available and pretty much bullet proof. I have run one on Ol Blue for many years.

Jeff@1965Tiger

Donation Time
Can someone please share a simple wire diagram to hook up the 1 wire Denso? I see so many different ways from others. Wanting to not recreate the wheel I wish to gain from your experience. I have a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger.

Which wires do I use and connect and which ones to tape off. I plan on using a dummy voltage regulator as a junction block. So, with that in mind what is the best way to hook this up? A sketched wired diagram would be great. I sure appreciate all your help.

Lons 62

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jeff, I attached what I did. The wire on the back of the alternator to the starter solenoid switch with the ground being the alternator bracket. I don't have the wiring diagram for your vehicle, but mine is a 62 Series II. No doubt there are other methods out there, but mine seems to work just fine. - Lon

Cheers!
1-Wire ALT-2.jpg

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
As you can see from the other replies, you need an alternator that has a Lamp connection. The Hitachi can be wired as a "one wire" plus the Lamp connection. Simply connect the "S" or "R" terminal directly to the B+ (big wire post) terminal.

Here's my write up of SII to Alt conversion. You'll see that "S" connection gets "New Wire". but just connect that to the B+ Terminal and you're set:

Tom

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Jeff, I attached what I did. The wire on the back of the alternator to the starter solenoid switch with the ground being the alternator bracket. I don't have the wiring diagram for your vehicle, but mine is a 62 Series II. No doubt there are other methods out there, but mine seems to work just fine. - Lon

Cheers!
View attachment 30974
Shouldn’t one put a fuse on that line?

Jeff@1965Tiger

Donation Time
Thank you so much.

The stock 65 Tiger has similar components but different from the Alpine. The Generator and the voltage regulator are FORD instead of the standard Lucas.

With all the cars out there and individuals, like me, who wish to have a more modern electrical charging system it seems strange there is not a simple DIY diagram. So, attached is a diagram of the 4 key components that are affected with an alternator change. I would appreciate if someone could take this diagram and connect the dots as it were to have it function as normal (see the diagram attached) Thank you for any help since others could use this as well.

P.S. It seems to me that there is a fairly straight forward way to use the existing wires since Alt & Gen produce the same type of electricity is just that the alternator is internally regulated verses the generator with the regulator box while keeping the cars intended dash functions. I have seen similar conversions on other cars (MG) that use the regulator as a junction box. I am fine with that. However, several comments say the alternator will not trigger the dummy light, but the alt has that provision?

Attachments

• 1965 Tiger diagram to Wire for Denzo Alternator.jpg
    1965 Tiger diagram to Wire for Denzo Alternator.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 16

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
TE/AE has a good write up on wiring an alternator to stock Tiger wiring. Go to the site and down load it
as it's pretty good reading!

Jeff@1965Tiger

Donation Time
Thank you, I have looked at it. Still, it is not specific enough though. If there was a wiring expert that could use my diagram, I think it would help not just me but many others. Other diagrams have taken a short route and circumvented the original harness which can be used. That is my quest since it is there and has value without bypassing the whole system or recreating the wheel. Moss motors did an excellent Gen to Alt explanation with diagrams like mine. If the Tiger had the Lucas regulator, then that diagram would have been perfect. I would love to see a similar diagram for the 1965 Tiger that's why I put the components in my diagram so it can be used to show what goes where and why. Can anyone help?

67brg

Silver Level Sponsor
I replaced the alternator on my 67 with a one wire 35 amp single pulley GM alternator and having an internal regulator installed at a local shop using the original mounting bracket and a few washers for aligning the pulley and an off the self adjusting strap cutting it to length and having a hole drilled in the strap. Get rid of the exciter box and about 10 feet of useless wire. Works great and looks semi like a Lucas alternator. I can't believe people go through all the trouble using these other alternators at only a fraction of the cost. Check it out