• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

One wire alternator?

Lons 62

Bronze Level Sponsor
My generator has finally given up the ghost and I will now convert to an alternator. I have seen posts about the 3-wire Hitachi 14231 but I can't seem to find a post about a recommendation for a particular 1-wire alternator. Anyone? ('62 SII)

Last edited:

hdar5702

Platinum Level Sponsor
I converted a'64 Elan to an alternator ~8 years ago for a friend.He shipped me a kit(Denso alternator,belt and brackets).It was an easy installation but then I had to convert the car to Negative ground.That involved,besides some changes in the wiring, sending the tach and clock out to be converted to neg. ground(also he had the pertronix ignition so that was also replaced).All went well...but it is a lot of work if you have to do the + to - conversion. Anyway,I would replace the generator for an alternator in my car for the more reliable and stable voltage it provides.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
The three wire Hitachi can be wired as a one wire. The only other wire you really need when you wire it up
is the ignition light on the dash. It can be wired so it works like it should when stock.

Jay Laifman

Platinum Level Sponsor
The ignition light wire is a must. It must go to the light on the dash. The other side does NOT go to ground. It goes to keyed 12V.

67brg

Silver Level Sponsor
My generator has finally given up the ghost and I will now convert to an alternator. I have seen posts about the 3-wire Hitachi 14231 but I can't seem to find a post about a recommendation for a particular 1-wire alternator. Anyone? ('62 SII)
A 35 amp single wire gm alternator with a regulator installed in it is very inexpensive, mounts to the original bracket on the block with a few spacers, a universal adjusting strap, looks original, can be repaired anywhere, easy to install. i don't understand why some people go through a lot of trouble for nothing!

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
As Sunalp mentions, the Hitachi can be wired as a one wire, except you need to add the wire to the ignition lamp. It's quite simple wiring.

Tom

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
A 35 amp single wire gm alternator with a regulator installed in it is very inexpensive, mounts to the original bracket on the block with a few spacers, a universal adjusting strap, looks original, can be repaired anywhere, easy to install. i don't understand why some people go through a lot of trouble for nothing!
I agree the GM - Delco -10si or 12si are readily available and pretty much bullet proof. I have run one on Ol Blue for many years.