• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Old Tire Problems

Some tires hold up better than others. I've autocrossed on tires from the last century - with my fingers crossed.

Evidently, weird stuff happens to old tires. When I did a search a few years back, I ran into one that really stopped me. A guy had his "Old Girl" up on a frame hoist, found both front tires had done an automotive impression of molting, much like the photo above, overnight. The idea of matched tires, failing in the same manner and at the same time was about all that guy could handle. But such stuff does happen. About twenty years ago, while visiting a Tempo/Topaz get together, a member showed up with a leaky freeze plug on the rear of a head (V6 six). We pooled all of our resources and got the leaker replaced and determined the problem: rust through. He drove it about 20 miles that evening. Next morning, he inspected the engine on initial fire up and discovered the rear freeze plug on the other bank was leaking! Two unmistakeable evidences of excellent quality control.
Bill

Some tires hold up better than others. I've autocrossed on tires from the last century - with my fingers crossed.
I'd be checking them VERY carefully.. and being that old.. likely the rubber is quite hard now anyway and not helping your times ... o_O

Tyres are rubber and they suffer from age, environmental exposure and light.. and the recommendation of them is often years.

If your car is inactive for long periods , having the tyres off the ground to prevent flat spotting, covered to protect them from light and if you are in a dry climate. Or have a dehumidifier in the garage it's worth putting something like silicone grease or Vaseline on them to keep the rubber supple and seals them from the air to some extent.

Also inspect the tyres for crazing on the sidewalls.. and ON THE INSIDE too... I've seen an alpine that had older tyres that had some sidewall crazing.. when we put the car in the air the inner sidewall had golfball sized bulges... They were ready to explode

On a personal level.. my father never wears his tyres out as he drives the car infrequently... Is why change tyres? I took his car for a drive and there was a risk shower... I was getting wheel spin in 2nd up gentle hills... The tyres were like plastic not rubber anymore... They were Pirelli's I had fitted for him 12 years earlier.....

Back