• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Old and New

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
:D
What I just found out today! OK lets see how something old comes full circle, and I would not be aware of this if not for my Alpine. The old British design for our Alpines was to use a paper filter inside a built on canister, then we all went with the newest greatest thing in the 70’s a spin on oil filter. Now in the 21st century we are all worried to death about those oil cans not rusting away and filling up the land fills. So my brand new 2007 Saturn Redline turbo 2.0 liter Ecotec engine car has this cool new, (Quote) “Innovative cast-in oil filter housing, which eliminates throwaway oil filter cans that retain used oilâ€. Like the darn thing designed in England to be like our old British roadsters has that same old paper filter, no spin on. AGH!
I know this forum will appreciate this NEW innovative technology, NOT!

Donna
;)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Donna, is the filter housing cast into the engine block? If so, that WOULD be different than anything I have seen. AFAIK, all the old timers were remote units.

Bill

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Looks like part of the crank case, hard to tell

:cool:
Here is a picture of the sister car Pontiac Solstice GXP, same motor etc. Looks like it may not be remote units, will have to take time and look under my hood this weekend. Looks like its bolted on sideways to the block. One of the post did say your suppose to have a "special tool" to take off the top of the canister, but it was inexpensive. I will have to resolve this within the next 1,400 miles or take it to the dealer for the oil change, LOL
Donna

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Another picture of oil cansiter

View of where the filter is on the car, looking from the drivers front fender down.

Donna

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not to change the usbject, but are you going to put your engineering talents to work and give us an evaluation of the potential of swapping this engine into the Alpine?

The world is waiting.

Bill

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Big Engine, small Alpine

:D :cool:
Will have to measure the engine bays but knowing how much wider the Sky is not a chance! Now if we remover all that high tech pollution junk off of the Sky's motor hmm, what would be a better ideal - put the turbo on the Alpine - Wahoo that would rock!

Donna

skywords

Donation Time
Not to change the usbject, but are you going to put your engineering talents to work and give us an evaluation of the potential of swapping this engine into the Alpine?

The world is waiting.

Bill

I am waiting for my GM Quad 4 with custom bellhousing and GM T-5 tranny to arrive so I can begin with the shoehorn in my Series I project. Will post some pics as the project proggresses. The Ecotec and the Quad 4 look simalar in size.

Rick