• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

OK, I'll be the dummy and ask......

dmich2

Donation Time
Not being any sort of an expert on Harringtons, I have to ask. How else will a Darksider ever learn? :eek:

So I run across this 1961 Sunbeam Alpine Lemans Coupe this morning on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Sunbeam-/152648005684?hash=item238a87b834:g:yqgAAOSwxBdZgkAc&vxp=mtr

Sweet looking car. It's got "Harrington" badges and all. As I'm viewing all the pictures of the car (love that short little trunk lid btw) I noticed the top seems to be removable. hummmm. I seem to remember Eric's and Bob's Harringtons as a seamless, non-removable setup. So I google and it seems I'm correct, but still confused, as I'm finding examples of "Harrington Badged" Sunbeams, but they are actually, although similar in appearance, quite different.

Any explanation as to what Rootes was doing?

Thanks,
Dennis

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Dennis
Thanks for posting that ad-that is Bill Atalla's former car and I wondered where it was. It has been bought and sold by several dealers since he sold it. Look at the price now! Anyway his is an early Harrington Alpine and that top is not removable either. It does have a small trunk but the rear hatch does not open like it does in the Le Mans. Much more info is at Jan's excellent website http://www.harringtonalpine.org/
Eric

65beam

Donation Time
dummy

Click on the Harrington site at the bottom of the home page ,click on models and Harrington alpine. The story is there. This was the first series of Harrington conversions built. There were 110 of them built.The wife bought our RHD LeMans from Bill. I saw this car when I was at his house in Reno when I picked up the RHD car. The workmanship, finish, etc. of this car is fantastic.

bisinger

Donation Time
I have seen this advertised on Huntington Ridge Motors website for $87,900. Same pictures and "stored" in Paramus which is where the dealer is located..?

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
Hi Dennis
Thanks for posting that ad-that is Bill Atalla's former car and I wondered where it was. It has been bought and sold by several dealers since he sold it. Look at the price now! Anyway his is an early Harrington Alpine and that top is not removable either. It does have a small trunk but the rear hatch does not open like it does in the Le Mans. Much more info is at Jan's excellent website http://www.harringtonalpine.org/
Eric
Thank you Eric

65beam

Donation Time
Hi Dennis
Thanks for posting that ad-that is Bill Atalla's former car. It does have a small trunk but the rear hatch does not open like it does in the Le Mans. Much more info is at Jan's excellent website http://www.harringtonalpine.org/
Eric

Bill had a cloth lined wood box built to hold the tools and related items. The tools were chrome plated and the box filled the trunk area. Another thing he did was to have a filler panel made to close off the area behind the dash. The wiring, etc is all hid out of sight. This car is unique!

chetsstm3

Donation Time
Greetings everyone, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Dave and I am the new owner of this gorgeous Harrington. I purchased it this past Saturday at the Saratoga Auto Museum Auction. As a board member I knew that I would have to bid on and likely buy something to give our first ever auction a boost. As soon as I saw this car in person I knew I had to have it, she is beautiful. Pretty quickly my "duty" to be a bidder turned into a passionate must have. I was completely ignorant of Harrington Alpines but am in love now! I've clocked nearly 100 miles in the past two days just driving around town and can't wait to get home to drive around some more. I am very much looking forward to learning more from all of you experts out there in the months to come.

Best,
Dave

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
harrington

Congratulations Dave on your new Harrington Alpine, please do feel free to ask any thing Sunbeam related here on the Forum. A ton of knowledge at your finger tips.
Cheers,
Jeff

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Dave, is your Harrington an Alpine or a LeMans? Many people use the terms interchangeably. An Alpine would still have stock fins.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dave, is your Harrington an Alpine or a LeMans? Many people use the terms interchangeably. An Alpine would still have stock fins.
Its the ex bill attala harrington alpine:

images

atallamcs

Donation Time
Greetings everyone, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Dave and I am the new owner of this gorgeous Harrington. I purchased it this past Saturday at the Saratoga Auto Museum Auction. As a board member I knew that I would have to bid on and likely buy something to give our first ever auction a boost. As soon as I saw this car in person I knew I had to have it, she is beautiful. Pretty quickly my "duty" to be a bidder turned into a passionate must have. I was completely ignorant of Harrington Alpines but am in love now! I've clocked nearly 100 miles in the past two days just driving around town and can't wait to get home to drive around some more. I am very much looking forward to learning more from all of you experts out there in the months to come.

Best,
Dave
Hi Dave—give me a call 707-363-2676 as I am the original owner that restored this special car. Bill Atalla