• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil Pump installation timing

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
There was a video that showed oil pump installation and distributor timing. Anyone have a link?

Thanks
Steve

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve,

The UK Alpine channel has this video. Pump installation is at about the four minute mark. Be sure and catch the following discussion about how they did the installation improperly and then how to do it correctly.

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello Steve
Nice video, thank you.
We had great difficulties starting the engine after the overhaul in the mechanics workshop.
Is there a written version for handover of the trick "... after alignment of chain and wheel *turn 360 round" ?
Have not found one until now.
Thank you, Andy

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you are looking for an "official" written document , such as in the WSM, then the answer is no. But you can discern the info from the two different sections of the manual and careful observation!

Page 25 of WSM 145 shows how to install the timing chain while aligning the two sprockets according to the dots on the sprockets. But that process only covers installing the timing chain correctly and and does not tell you that the procedure performs the timing chain installation with the # 4 Piston, at TDC Firing position. You can only tell that the installation is done with engine at #4 firing by observing the valve action.

Page 16 of that manual shows how to install the oil pump noting the following:
"Ensure that the engine is at T.D.C. (top dead centre)· with piston of No. 1 cylinder in firing position"

It's then left to the student to realize that the timing chain installation leaves the engine at #4 TDC firing and that to get from #4 at TDC firing to # 1 at TDC requires a 360 turn of the crank.;)

Tom

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Tom has explained this more succinctly than I've seen it before and is 100% correct.

1/ Line up the two marks on the timing wheels when rebuilding the engine (to get the crankshaft and camshaft synchronised)
2/ Rotate the engine forward one full 360* rotation (To bring No 1 to TDC and firing)
3/ Fit the oil pump. (This will ensure the distributor is where it should be)

Some people get really angry about this and I've seen all manner or arguments on Internet forums about it but it really is as simple as described.

Tim R

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello Tom
Thank you a lot for the detailed information! Reading in the WSM pg. 16 + 25 needs a bit of imagination skills..
I think I will practice it once on a spare engine I have in the garage, since the Alpine is running well now.
The key message is "...#4 firing by observing the valve action".
Andy