• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil Article in lastest TE/AE newsletter

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Bob,
Your our resident oil expert. What are your thoughts on the author's recommendations?

TR

65beam

Donation Time
Todd,
I read the online article. The starburst on the back of the bottle has been there for years and has listed many specs. The space available just doesn't give them room to print every previous spec. Another reason for not printing them is the number of vehicles on the road. that required an SB oil or any of the specs not listed.. The current SN spec engine oils are backwards compatible with the earlier spec oils with the major difference being the amount of ZDDP is much lower due to the cat converters. Keep in mind that these oils have ZDDP as the extreme pressure additive because there is no known additive to replace it. There are many different sizes of bottles of ZDDP available at every big box auto part in the states. There is also a new base oil that is called GROUP 3 that is so pure that it looks like water. The oil companies contract distributors to sell the products and require that all reps have continuing education to know what changes are happening, etc. The bottom line is that a little knowledge is dangerous. Don't be afraid to use current spec oils since they are backward compatible. Just add a little ZDDP if your engine has been cleaned and rebuilt.

Hodee

Donation Time
Is there a recommended amount of zinc or ZDDP per quart? For our "older" cars. I guess listed as ppm? Parts per million?

jfcroni

Donation Time
Brad Penn is the oil I use. I cost more but is a good oil used by many vintage car owners. I use it in my 356 and my 62 Willys too.

65beam

Donation Time
Bill,
You should see some of the fancy little rigs and set ups that some of the specialty blenders use to demonstrate why their oil is so much better and why they can justify you need to pay three times the amount for it. I used to think that I had seen it all considering how long I've been in the business but someone always seems to come up with a new dog and pony show or a better snake oil.

65beam

Donation Time
Brad Penn is the oil I use. I cost more but is a good oil used by many vintage car owners. I use it in my 356 and my 62 Willys too.
We.re a master distributor for Brad Penn which is now owned by DA lubricants. Good oil but like all the others carries the current SN spec for engine oils . They have their distribution and blending problems since it's such a small segment of their business.