• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Now I'm in for it.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I know I am all over the place, but today I installed the 3 point seat belts. I had bungs welded into the roll bar for a high mounting point. I used the regular seat belt mounting points with new hardware for the belt anchors and I mounted the retractor to the base of the roll bar with heavy L brackets. I had plates welded under the package shelf with threaded holes for mounting the roll bar. I think they will work well.

Yes, I have the passenger seat installed on the driver side. I will swap them when I go to put the carpet in.

20230205_140927.jpg

The bung was installed as high as I could get it. Still going to be a little downward pressure on my shoulder.
20230205_143908.jpg
So, mounting the passenger side was complicated by the battery door. I had to mount the retractor further back on the package shelf. I like the location of the drivers side better, but I will probably relocate it to match the passenger side for symmetry. 20230205_151528.jpg20230205_151544.jpg

Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
This is how I mounted mine, I ran the bolt into the wheel well. Both sides are the same.
i-vhwzR6P-XL.jpg

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Take II on the retractor mounting. On the good advice of John from above, I have drilled holes into the fender well and mounted the retractor higher on the sidewall of the cabin. It is out of the way of the battery door, and tucked up close to the roll bar.20230206_193626.jpg20230206_193557.jpg

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I finally got the Dana rear end dropped off at a shop. What an ordeal. The first shop I had been talking to on the phone. When I showed up with the rear ends, they decided they really didn't want to do the job. They did recomend a second shop. I called them and explained the job. They said they would be glad to do it, but they were booked out a full year. They recommended a third shop. I took it by there, and they told me they would have it done by the end of next week. What a relief. I can not wait another year to get this car on the road.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes, both for comparison and to harvest the spring perches and shock mounts. Anyone need what is left over of this stock rear end?

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
The rear end is done and ready for pick up. Speedy work and a fair price. It has Dan R's disc brake parts installed. The ebrake levers have not been converted to sunbeam style yet.58348.jpeg58350.jpeg

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes, thick plates were welded under the parcel shelf with tapped holes added to accept the bolts. I will try to remember to take some pics before I drop the car off the cribbing again.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
They are for a 94 Saturn SC.
So far, this is the all around best mate for an otherwise stock Alpine brake system. Right size, decent performance, parking brake compatible and easy installation. All available in kit form. If you are going to a gonzo front brake, look at the Miata 2000 and up rear caliper. That is a good caliper and easy ti install, but way too big for the Alpine stack front. I found them to be too big for the 2.5" GM riding 11" rotors. Required a proportioning valve, adjusted to the upper limit, still a hint of premature lockup.
Bill

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am thinking I will likely need to install a proportioning valve with this set up, but I am going to try them without first.