• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Now I'm in for it.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
When I mentioned welding you might look at things like this. These seams are in the trunk all the spot welds had broken apart, you'll notice several stich welds if you look close.IMG_20191208_122145842.jpg

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thank you. I will for certain weld up the spring mounts, the font subframe and now these seams in the trunk. I have not got the car delivered yet.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
The car arrived today. I am both very excited and a little terrified. The car and trunk are chock full of parts. My first job will be pulling everything out and try to figure out what may be missing. The undercarriage looks solid, and I am pleased to see things like all new brake lines, new fuel pump and filter installed, a working mg steering rack. My goal will be to get the engine and trans out, beef up the spring mounts and cross member and get the body out to paint by spring.20191221_110511.jpg

Attachments

• 20191221_110523.jpg
    20191221_110523.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 20191221_110551.jpg
    20191221_110551.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 20191221_110740.jpg
    20191221_110740.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 129

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sure

Attachments

• 20191221_120119.jpg
    20191221_120119.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 137
  • 20191221_120135.jpg
    20191221_120135.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 20191221_120152.jpg
    20191221_120152.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 132
  • 20191221_120158.jpg
    20191221_120158.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 133

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Another surprise, look like new shocks all around have already been installed. Is there an easy way to determine if tiger springs have been added to the front?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor

There is both good news and bad news in those pictures. The good news is that the front suspension crossmember was not notched to accommodate the steering rack. The bad news is that notches were cut in the bottom of the front cruciform extensions (aka, the front "frame rails"). Hard to be sure, but it looks like the notches were left "open" and were not reinforced. If so, that is another opportunity to practice your welding.

The steering rack in your V8 conversion is definitely mounted higher (maybe an inch+ ???) than the steering rack in a Tiger. Again hard to be sure, but the front / back location may be a little less forward (good news) than a Tiger.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I noticed something strange when doing a little parts inventory. I have no front turn signal assemblies, but stranger than that, the holes that the turn signals would fit into had plates welded over them from the fender well, and then had body work done to smooth them over on the front valence. Ah the joy of taking over someone else project.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
There is both good news and bad news in those pictures. The good news is that the front suspension crossmember was not notched to accommodate the steering rack. The bad news is that notches were cut in the bottom of the front cruciform extensions (aka, the front "frame rails"). Hard to be sure, but it looks like the notches were left "open" and were not reinforced. If so, that is another opportunity to practice your welding.

The steering rack in your V8 conversion is definitely mounted higher (maybe an inch+ ???) than the steering rack in a Tiger. Again hard to be sure, but the front / back location may be a little less forward (good news) than a Tiger.
The good news is those notches are not open. Arched plates have been welded into the openings.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I noticed something strange when doing a little parts inventory. I have no front turn signal assemblies, but stranger than that, the holes that the turn signals would fit into had plates welded over them from the fender well, and then had body work done to smooth them over on the front valence. Ah the joy of taking over someone else project.

The PO probably planned on using headlights with integrated turn signal lights. That gives a clean look and is currently popular in the restomod muscle car world.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
mgb gusset rack mount.jpg Looks like he used the MGB rack mounts too. I like the idea of on top rather than notching the crossmember. I'm thinking I'd reinforce the top and bottom of the mounts with triangular gussets. How about a picture of the tie rod angle compared to the lower control arm? U joints to steering column? Also wonder if tie rod ends are above or below the steering arms. Pic of gusseted MGB rack mount:

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
bump steer.jpg My concern with the higher mount is bump steer. If the tie rod ends are on top of the steering arms and the angle of the tie rod is close to level with the lower control arm and the road you will be fine.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
The PO probably planned on using headlights with integrated turn signal lights. That gives a clean look and is currently popular in the restomod muscle car world.
I did not know that was a thing, but now that I have googled things, I kind of like the idea. I do like the smooth curve of the valence below the headlight bucket.