• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Not that long ago

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Brings back days of my youth...

Thanks for being so kind as to POST this link:D

I'm soon to be 74 years old and can relate to most of the PIC's.

What really caught my eye was the Auto storage garage! How did they get those cars on the different parking levels??

mattinoz

Donation Time
Fabulous photos! Thanks for posting. I really liked the "full service" one with 4 guys tending to the car.
Just had another look and there are 5 guys working on it...

tom o

Donation Time
The bomber station with the b17 has an interesting story. Don't quote me but this is how I remember the story. The guy bought the bomber at a disposal airport in new mexico. He picked one out with full gas. Got in and started to fly it. He had never flown one before. Something went wrong and he went back to the airport. He could not get the landing gear down and bellied it in. He was not hurt. The guy running the place must have felt bad, because he let the guy pick out another one. He flew that one all the way to Idaho. He landed it someplace close to his gas station and put it on top.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
I remember that gas station from my years living in Portland Oregon. It's located in a community on the outskirts of the city. Filling up under the cover of those big wings was welcome during what seemed like constant rain/drizzle. I don't remember ever going up inside it though, that might have been closed up years before.

http://www.thebomber.com

Nickodell

Donation Time
The bomber station with the b17 has an interesting story. Don't quote me but this is how I remember the story. The guy bought the bomber at a disposal airport in new mexico. He picked one out with full gas.

There were so many unneeded WWII fighter planes in Britain after 1945 that you could buy virtually brand new ("low mileage" ;)) Spitfires, Mustangs etc. for the price of the scrap metal. All they did was take the guns and some classified equipment out, like the gunsight. People bought them for the 100-octane gas in the tanks, since petrol was virtually unobtainable immediately port-war, and then severely rationed until the early 50s.

Did you notice that one picture showed 10% corn alcohol blend pumps in what must have been the early 30s? So the nonsense has been around far longer than one might think.

Rick Young

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you look at the building next to Brick's Gulf Station Barney's Motor Cars has an ad for the Tucker.

That gas station is now NY Foundling Hospital.

Rick

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
10% corn alcohol in gasoline was probably a good idea at that time. Keep in mind that during that era, farmers in Indiana were heating their houses with corn. There was more heat in the corn than in the coal corn could buy. Corn simply had no value. It did no good to feed it, my Grandpa sold a truckload of fat hogs and did not receive enough money to cover the trucking bill. I heard that story many times.

Bill

Nickodell

Donation Time
Reminds me of the National Benzole petrol we used in the 50s through the 70s (before anyone understood, or cared, about air pollution and carcinogenic byproducts.) Benzene was a byproduct of the production of coal gas, the gas that heated and lit homes and fueled industry from the early 19th through the mid 20th centuries (when North Sea gas supplanted it.) Other than as a solvent and use in some chemical reactions, nobody knew what to do with it.

Pure benzene has a very high anti-knock rating, so the National petrol company blended it with regular gas to produce something well over 100 octane, which worked very well in high-compression engines - although a lot of people put it in normal engines under the delusion that it would give them better performance (like "Premium" today.) It smelled different from normal petrol, so it had to be more powerful, right?