• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

NOS chrome tail pipe??

Limey

Donation Time
Our club was offered the whole bunch of these NOS Abarth exhausts earlier, but the original keeper asked crazy money. We declined since the vast majority is running stainless anyway. A good friend of mine bought a rear muffler in original wrapping . Looks nice but the build quality is like it was in the 70/80s. A nice collection piece but think it will rot away in 3 years once put on a frequently used car...
Good point. Boy racer stuff - Carlos Fandango...

65beam

Donation Time
The Abarth will rust from the inside due to the outside coating they used. I added this system to the series 4 in 1970 when Paeco built my race engine. It rusted thru in about two years but AutoWorld in Scranton, Pa replaced it under warranty and it rusted thru in the same manner. I still have the tips. This Abarth system sold for $49.50 in 1970. I just pulled out the catalog to check this cost. I also have an NOS part number 53 . I tried to sell it for many years but no one ever wanted it. FYI, it's painted black.

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Poor quality mild Italian steel. They were heavy , didn't bring much power gain - if any - and rotted away in short time. The sound was good and the dual chrome tips looked nice though...

65beam

Donation Time
These are available and don't look too hatefull. No problems with them dragging under circumstances100_0307.JPG

alpine_64

Donation Time
Oliver, i saw the endpipe on ebay.. It looked a factory part. Later on with Tigers the end of the tailpipes had cbrome tips done in the same method... So its at least possibly a OEM rootes supllied replacement part.

Limey

Donation Time
Oliver, i saw the endpipe on ebay.. It looked a factory part. Later on with Tigers the end of the tailpipes had cbrome tips done in the same method... So its at least possibly a OEM rootes supllied replacement part.

Hi Mike,
The Tiger similarity you mention is good enough for me but I don't mind the mild steel tail pipe. I bought it out of curiosity. I cant resist a NOS part:cool:

Have good New Year!
Oliver

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Oliver,

As Michael has suggested there is evidence of a Mk1 Tiger here in AU that has what appear to be the OE chrome tailpipe ends welded to the replacement system which has been on the car for many years. This car is extremely well preserved and clearly during the original owners stewardship the tailpipe tips were saved due to their decorative appearance.

30 years ago we dismantled a SII Rapier after a heavy hit to the front. It was also very original and had the correct curley tailpipe which was also chromed. I have seen similar treatment on the AU assembled Hillman Gazelle. I think then this suggests it was a common feature on various Rootes models over time. Of course now rarely if ever seen due to the system being a "consumable".

Happy New Year to you and puss as well.....

Lance.

Limey

Donation Time
Hi Lance

Thanks for the corroboration.

I can't remember if I ever sent you pics so here's a pic of the oil filter cover with the correct transfer thanks to you. Let me know if you want me to post you some tranfers for your own use)

All the best and have a great New Year

Oliver

:D:Dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruD81TBZ8vI (Boom Boom!!)
IMG_2189.JPG IMG_2190.JPG

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oliver,

Superb clean engine bay. Great job and like your attention to the detail. Almost over the top are those Champion spark plug leads :rolleyes:
Post more pics please. Want to see the other side including the Zenith's...

Limey

Donation Time
No problem.Champions were 'in period' mods. Note the total absence of copper pipes. These were never fitted. Use Period correct Bundy tubing unless you like your engine bay to look like a steam train. :rolleyes:Which I know you dont.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Great!

Back to your original thread question:

Today I remembered that I still have the remains of an original late S2 exhaust system in my scrap bin. Dug it out and on the first glance no traces of chrome. Then I partially cleaned it up with a brass brush. Look at the result on the picture:

IMG_20191231_130219.jpg

I'ld call it a definite evidence that early series Alpines came with chrome exhaust tips from the factory. I think I can say so because this S2 is a completely original California black plate car which stood in a Garage untouched for at least 40 years...

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Welcome ;).

Just cleaned it a bit further and put a metre next to it. Appearantly the chrome reached quite far...

IMG_20191231_153718.jpg

Limey

Donation Time
That does make sense tho. An unchromed tail pipe would have been rust brown in a few months of coning out of the dealers and even 60's British cars shouldn't look rusty that quickly (maybe after a year:rolleyes:)

Looks like it's chromed as far as the exhaust hanger but no further which makes sense. Mine's the same. Guess I'll be sending something to the chromers in the new year:)
I've built up a pile of stuff for them but good chroming is so expensive. Looks like the credit card will take another hammering:(

Once again thanks for going to the trouble in search of the Alpine truth

Oliver

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Good chroming indeed became expensive in EU. But if the steel isn't pitted it shouldn't kill you :rolleyes:.
What is worthwhile to mention here is that we are talking about an US market exhaust tip which didn't have the last silencer. It will be certainly noisy but that's what we like, don't we ;):)

P.S. I really enjoy digging into these topics since there are still undiscovered areas specifically on the early cars...

Last edited:

Limey

Donation Time
Your right about the noise! I have an original mild steel system with just the one big oval silencer and its pretty quiet except when pushing hard. Just a nice 'burble'

I've seen a lot of Brit chroming that is pretty average at best. You get what you pay for I guess. It's all down to the amount of copper they lay on and then polish out before the chrome goes on.

When they chromed my bonnet flash they told me they had to drill out over 150 tiny corrosion pits by hand, then lay a huge amount of copper on and then polish 95% of it off. It looks nice though...:cool:. I don't plan to fit it so maybe I'll put it on eBay next week and see if anyone is interested

mikephillips

Donation Time
For anyone who wants the period mod Champion plug caps, you can get them from Jaguar parts sellers at least, and probably others.