• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

NOS chrome tail pipe??

Limey

Donation Time
Hi all,

I'd thought I'd post these pics of a recent eBay purchase. To my eye it looks Rootes NOS but although it has a proper stenciled Rootes part number as opposed to something handwritten it does not have a Rootes label so I do not say for certain that this is Rootes as opposed to aftermarket.

Did original early series have a chrome tailpipe from the factory or did Rootes supply these as an accessory? My question is what do you think? Rootes or a.m.?

I have 2 'NOS' tail pipes but neither has any Rootes branding so are likely after market I would say. Neither was chromed and both only had the part number on a blank label or painted on.

Its the careful stencil that make me wonder if it is Rootes made

Oliver

Attachments

• Chrome.JPG
    Chrome.JPG
    346.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2085.JPG
    IMG_2085.JPG
    598.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2084.JPG
    IMG_2084.JPG
    537.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Part number.jpg
    Part number.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Diag.jpg
    Diag.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2086.JPG
    IMG_2086.JPG
    377.9 KB · Views: 64

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hmm. Well, it also has that characteristic battleship gray paint, so I agree, it certainly looks the factory part. I’ve never seen one in chrome before though.

What did the cat scan reveal?

Limey

Donation Time
Hmm. Well, it also has that characteristic battleship gray paint, so I agree, it certainly looks the factory part. I’ve never seen one in chrome before though.

What did the cat scan reveal?
The moggy has spent more time in my car than I have..Very nosey. I like him a lot less when I see his claws scrabbling to get purchase on my new paintwork as he slides off ...:mad:

Last edited:

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
The moggy has spent more time in my car than I have..Very nosey. I like him a lot less when I see his claws scrabbling to get purchase on my new paintwork as he slides off ...:mad:
He is a cat! He wants to help. Our cat wakes every one up at 5:30 year round I think she wears a watch!

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Never seen an early tailpipe with a chrome tip or remainders of such. The one you found looks pretty original Rootes to me...

Limey

Donation Time
Never seen an early tailpipe with a chrome tip or remainders of such. The one you found looks pretty original Rootes to me...
My thoughts also. Let's see if anyone confirms it

Attachments

• IMG_2183.JPG
    IMG_2183.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 29

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Get the tip rechromed , fit it and it will certainly look great. Despite my preference to use original parts / styles I run a stainless exhaust system on my S1. The tip came polished though...

Limey

Donation Time
I think I will do that. The existing exhaust is all NOS but took 10 years to find all the bits:rolleyes: so I have a stainless that I will fit to the next one but do you think they sound a bit harsh compared to the mild steel ones?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes they do sound a bit harsher than the mild steel ones. But on the plus side they are fit and forget. I'm actually running 2 stainless systems ,i.e. a Falcon and an SS system on my S1/ SV. The Falcon was rather loud while SS came too mellow so I switched the end mufflers. Now they both just sound about right ;)

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wonder whether it's just the packing and/or also the muffler internal layout. Assuming you have the Falcon system it would be easier to just order the rear muffler portion from John H. He sells them individually...

Limey

Donation Time
Wonder whether it's just the packing and/or also the muffler internal layout. Assumed you have the Falcon system it would be easier to just order the rear muffler portion from John H. He sells them individually...
Got Mine from Alpine West Midland but does Jihn H supply the system to them?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
As far as I understand John is providing his systems to all others in trade, specifically to Sue from West Midlands. Falcon sells independently though...

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Our club was offered the whole bunch of these NOS Abarth exhausts earlier, but the original keeper asked crazy money. We declined since the vast majority over here is running stainless anyway. A good friend of mine bought a rear muffler in original wrapping . Looks nice but the build quality is like it was in the 70/80s. A nice collection piece but think it will rot away in 3 years once put on a frequently used car...

Last edited: