• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Nissan wedge shaped race car

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
A few years ago Nissan tried to help develop an experimental race car - the "DeltaWing" - to compete in the "big" classes with about half the weight and power.

Here's a video about the car's development and performance.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Noted - edited.

Have a good day,
Will be interesting to see if anyone runs one in the Endurance Legends Series.

There is now a very strong historic race category that runs globally with Prototype, GT1, LMP1, IMSA and GT2/3 cars.

I can imagine proper racing tyres on the front might be hard to source... however the guys running the remanufactured Tyrrell 6 wheelers have managed to get tyres.

On that note... I read recently that Avon tyres was bought and there is a concern they may stop producing historic race tyres....:eek:o_O

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The tire and rubber industry is a convoluted and confusing world.

In about 1997, Avon Tyre & Rubber changed their name to Avon Protection and sold the Avon Tyre business to Cooper Tire & Rubber.

In about 2005, Cooper Tire & Rubber sold their non-tire rubber business which became Cooper Standard.

In 2021, Goodyear Tire & Rubber acquired Cooper Tire which owned Avon Tyre which means Goodyear Tire now owns Cooper Tire and Avon Tyre.

The Avon tire plant in Melksham, England is very old and very outdated and is supposed to be shut down by the end of this year.

I heard somewhere (???) that Avon branded car / SUV tires may be produced at the Cooper Tire plant in Serbia. I have not heard what will happen with the Avon motorcycle and vintage tire business, but I will not be surprised if Goodyear walks away from what they see as a non-core niche market.

Told you it was confusing.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
@Barry
Thanks for the more detailed run down of the Avon situation ( though I've taken the delta wing thread off topic..sorry @husky drvr )

I was notified about the possibility of AVON not doing the historic race tyres through the race group my Alpine racer is listed with as they are one of the homologated tyres we can run.

They support a wide variety of historic Motorsport sizes and products .. I hope they continue