• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

new master brake cylinder

SteveSeriesV

Silver Level Sponsor
I have not been satisfied with the braking (no Brake servo) for a long time and have decided to follow Jeff Scoville's idea of installing a Summit Racing master cylinder, before trying to obtain and install, what seems to be, unreliable brake servos. Are there any issues I need to be aware of before starting this installation? Should I be replacing the brake lines at the same time?

Steve

dmich2

Donation Time
Steve, I too have considered the upgrade. Keep us informed as to the process. I, for one, would suggest that if the brake lines are original....REPLACE them. Even half that old, I would lean towards replacing. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

Dennis

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
As I do not know which master cylinder you are contemplating, the following is offered.

Do not get a master cylinder that has a bore diameter greater than 3/4". The pedal will be too hard. Bores less than 5/8" will have too much pedal travel. Most seem to be happy with the 3/4" size. Do not get one that has a bottom brake line outlet, will foul the steering column. Brake lines should be changed only if they appear to be rusty, but the bubble flare on the line as it goes into the master cylinder will not work. Needs to be the double flare.

If you are wanting a dual system, the master cylinder for a Nissan F10 seems to be the best fit.

Bill

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Just a note I have been using a Alpine 1&2 break master on my tiger and my 5 Alpine and the breaks work as good or better than when I used the booster (when it worked) The smaller bore on the early clyinders works great!