• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Naomi and some paint

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Went out this morning and began buffing. Correction on my estimate of 80% complete. Put some light on the body and voila I have more work than expected. Light brings out the swirls, pig tails, etcetera the prep person left me to deal with. Wait a minute I prepped it!! Needless to say I am taking one small area at a time to refine the quality. So many hours -so many hours - so many hours

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
To answer Michael's question about grit levels. After paint has cured for a least a week. Using a DA/sometimes hand block I start with 1500 wet and find all the imperfections (generally nibs from dust). I use 800 wet to remove imperfections. Then back to 1500 for those areas. On to 3000 wet. Then using Presta products in a small 2' by 2' area I start rotary buffing with gel coat compound - if needed because of some more serious flaw I may go to Supercut compound (lots of grit)/then back to gel coat. On to Ultra polish to take out the minor scratches. Finally, I like Maguiar Ultra finishing polish. The entire process is repeated and repeated and repeated ....(you get the idea) as light from various angles can show the imperfections. Even when I'm about to put on a trim piece I may see a blemish. I stop everything and use a small detailing buffer going through the required sequence to get the bright shine (usually just Presta Utlra polish/Maguiar Ultra finish polish). For me there isn't any point in counting the enormous number of hours. Only perseverance matters. For production shops that is not the case. They want to move on the product as fast as possible to maximize dollar return vs time.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
She looks good. I see you have a few other projects stacked up behind this one.
You are correct there are many projects. 1962 Factory Works Alpine - Roy Stetina's 60s racing Alpine - one off custom Lyrad on a Series I platform - 1967 Jaguar 340 - 1966 Jaguar MK II modified. The 1963 Series III GT and the 1965 Tiger just need to be brought down from the racks. The orange Fiberfab Jamaican is more of a conversation piece. The medical profession better do their job so my body can keep up with my mind's visions.