• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Muffler question

buckalpine3

Donation Time
To the best of my knowledge my ''66 M1a had stainless mufflers and pipes installed in 2003. I can't tell what brand or type of muffler. The car sounds okay but a somewhat loud and higher pitched than I would prefer. I would like a deeper Mustang-like rumble. Is this just the sound from a 260 or are there any ways to get a more civilized, yet threatening, sound from the pipes?
Thanks,
Dave

atallamcs

Donation Time
mufflers

Hey Dave,
I have a somewhat built 260 but no headers, just stock cast manifolds. I tried several different systems, the stainless and the ones they sell for tigers-- not the right sound as you so noted.

I went to the chief scientist of flowmasters and he designed the system--perfect is all I can say. If you have a stock engine or thereabout, 2.25" pipe with a cross over (balance pipe) into dual Delta Flow 50 mufflers back to twin chrome tail pipes. Simple and clean and the sound you are looking for.
Bill
http://rides.webshots.com/album/446838691eUlJBj

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
That's cool!

A carefully designed exhaust :) .

Back in the day, I was more than satisfied with blown out stock mufflers on a mostly stock MK1, then straight pipes to the rear.

The mufflers would have been 5 years old.

The deep crackling sound was engaging, even for that era.

Maybe the original sound has been improved on, I dunno.

buckalpine3

Donation Time
Bill, I got the Delta Flow 50's on today and it sounds sweet, just what I was looking for. I did not do any crossovers or H connectors but am happy with this. Thanks for sharing your info.
Dave

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Does the 50 have a resonance? We put a Flowmaster 40 on my sons car, a V6 (Tempo) with single exhaust. Had a terrible resonance at 2200 rpm. Drove me nuts.

Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm running the Cherrybomb PRO on my 65 Mustang 289. They are a good sounding muffler without the drone at speed or tinny sound at idle of the Flowmaster. Produces a nice tone while cruising and a great sound when you jump on it. And with a cross over there is no hammering when you get on it or rapping when you let off.

atallamcs

Donation Time
mufflers

The delta 50's unlike the 40's does not have the resonnance factor. I know as I run a hard top and you would not be able to think with the 40's.
Bill

buckalpine3

Donation Time
I agree, there has been no resonance with these mufflers and I have no "tinniness" at idle. That was one of the issues I wanted to change with my old mufflers which were pretty compact compared to these 50's. This is a pleasant deep Mustang-like rumble. Nice going, Bill!
Dave

atallamcs

Donation Time
mufflers

Good deal. Glad the results were as promised. I too wanted to get away from the tinniness as you said and the hum drum sound.
Best,
Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Bill,

I don't remember if this question has been asked, but do you remember where the balance pipe was located on your system? I am going to get a balance pipe fitted to my Tiger and was curious as to where yours was placed.

Thank you, Robin.

atallamcs

Donation Time
muffler

Hi Robin,
Sorry I have been out of the country for the last two weeks. I think you will see clearly the one logical spot for the pipe, which I am sure you have done by now.
best,
Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Robin,
Sorry I have been out of the country for the last two weeks. I think you will see clearly the one logical spot for the pipe, which I am sure you have done by now.
best,
Bill

Hi Bill,

Not a problem. I haven't actually had the balance pipe installed yet, but I asked just as confirmation.

Thanks, Robin.